Friday, April 30, 2010

Flytec Race and Rally - Day 5

Today a 109km task north to Williston Airport was called. It was the same task that was cancelled on Monday. The winds were out of the South East and mostly on course. A massive gaggle formed just downwind of launch. It looked like a huge tornado of gliders 1000 feet tall. I flew in it for a bit, but it was way to hectic for me. Filippo, who won the day, described the flying in the gaggle by saying in his elegant Italian accent "Sometimes we try to help each other, sometimes we try to kill each other!" Traffic usually doesn’t bother me, but it was too distracting to constantly dodge gliders and focus on my climbing. I left it low and headed out on course. It was a gamble but I figured I’d climb better on my own than in the gaggle. I got the T2C 154 (sail square feet) instead of the 144 and it was noticeable in the climb. It has an awesome sink rate and is by far the best climbing glider I’ve ever flown.

The Staging Cue


Dragonfly Fly By


OB, Dustin, and Nicole


Practicing for the Gaggle



I found a good thermal over an unfinished subdivision over the town of Mascotte. Soon a few others joined and we got up to 3500 feet. The main gaggle went to the North. A secondary gaggle formed and we worked our way over the Florida Turn Pike. I found myself low over a rest station, but got up over a grass runway on the west side of the Turn Pike. From there I scratched with a few others at about 2000’ feet to another half developed subdivision until we all hit a good climb up to 3500’.

Thermalling Over Quest



There was a forest fire left of course and I caught a glimpse of the huge gaggle just north of it. Below me was a densely forested area without many landing options. I was high enough to make it to the other side so I went on glide towards the gaggle. I found a good climb about half way there and drifted in the thermal towards the smoke. There were only two other gliders with me and we worked together topping out at over 4800’ feet. One guy went early and I never saw him again. I went second confident that I could clear another forested area and find good lift. The last guy stayed.

The best glide to goal I was 30 to 1, but I found nothing but smooth air until I was low, about 20K short of goal. Northwestern Florida is thoroughbred horse country; high dollar horse farms populated the land below. I was warned that spooking million-dollar race horses while landing would not go over well with the wealthy owners. I found a rough lot with a few sporadic trees, but open enough to land in. I boxed the field 3 times searching for a bubble, but couldn’t find anything. I touched down 21K short of goal. It was an 88k flight lasting about 3.5 hours.

Most of the people that made it goal were in the huge gaggle. The strategy when it’s light here is obviously to stay with the group, but I like being on my own. It’s how I fly in Colorado and eventually it left me on the ground. It’s funny how much this sport is like road cycling with the gaggle in place of the peloton and people going on glide instead of making breaks always.

My Landing Field



Erin picked me up and we drove the last 20K to Williston. Williston is small town America. The group reunited at the Ice Cream shop for GPS downloads then we all stayed at the Williston Motor Inn.

Dinner at the Ice Cream Shop


The Williston Motor Inn


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Alex,
Just catching up with your blog. Fantastic stuff man. Thanks for all the pics and info. The glider looks AMAZING. Keep it coming.

AGW