Monday, April 19, 2010

The Phoenix Multisport Air Force

My slowly healing knee is probably going to keep me from mountain bike racing in 2010. I'm happy to just ride my bike this year and focus my competitive energy in hang gliding. For those that don't know, hang gliding competitions are generally cross-country races along a predetermined route called a task to a goal. They take place over multiple days similar to a bike stage race. Pilots use thermals to climb and then glide along the task towards goal. Depending on the weather, airspace, and location each day's route could be anywhere from 50 to 200 kilometers. The first one across the finish line gets the most points for the day and total points decide the winners over the meet.

Skill is the first requirement to be competitive, but more so than cycling, equipment is also crucial. An efficient setup allows for a better glide ratio, higher speeds, and a shorter time between thermals. I've always had 2 or 3 generation old hand-me-down gliders and harnesses. They have all been great for recreational flying, but not fast and clean comp machines. Last year at Santa Cruz Flats (you can find in under the Hang Gliding label) on my old Talon I would watch other pilots easily gap me on glide. My new glider will be able to hang with the best, but I've still got plenty of room to grow in the skill area.

I've also got a new purpose flying as a Phoenix Multisport sponsored athlete, in what I'm calling the Phoenix Multisport Air Force. Hang gliding is one of the purest and natural forms of flight. Every time I hang glide it’s a realization of my most vivid dreams of flight. My hope is that, through hang gliding, I can inspire others within the Phoenix Multisport community that with a sober lifestyle it is possible to pursue their dreams.

The Phoenix Will Fly!


My next comp, the Flytec Race and Rally, is less than a week away. It starts inland of Ft. Meyers, Florida and finishes somewhere in Georgia depending on where the tasks take us. My new wing is a Wills Wing Talon T2C sporting Phoenix Multisport colors. It's also going to sport the Phoenix logo and name on the upper surface and leading edges. The possible design options for this were endless. I took a basic mock up to Kris, Phoenix's graphic designer, and he designed me some trick options to choose from. Ultimately performance, handling, and cost considerations decided on a simpler, but still trick graphic. The logo in top is basically an $800.00, 8-foot diameter bumper sticker. Ever try to put a bumper sticker on and have it stick to itself? It's going to be stressful applying it in the Florida heat. I'm only going to get one chance to get it right!

Bob Bailey's Video of the Flytec Rally Last Year
You can see an uncropped version Here


Possible Phoenix Multisport Glider Logo's
All Graphics Courtesy of Kris Henry at Black Cap Studios, www.blackcastudio.com




The Final Design


Getting everything in order for Florida has been a huge logistical challenge. The new glider and decals are there and Jeff is letting me borrow his old harness. I test flew Jeff’s harness on the Falcon (a beginner glider) to test my hang position, angle, and ability to flare. My new helmet is stuck in customs and probably not going to make it in time. I can use my old one if it doesn't make it. The only remaining obstacle is getting myself there and the constant lack of money. To solve the latter I have been selling every piece of outdoor, biking, hang gliding equipment and car parts I own that aren’t tied down. Last weekend I loaded up my old Talon and vario and drove to southeastern Colorado to meet it's buyer, who drove up from Austin. I was sad to see it go, it served me well.

Test Flying Jeff's Harness on the Falcon



The Only One that Stayed Up!


Road Trip to Deliver the Talon to its New Owner







All that’s left it so get myself to Florida in time to apply the decals and get a few practice flights on the new glider. It's going to be hectic, but such is life. My goals for the comp are to get dialed on the glider, learn from the best some of the best pilots in the world, and hopefully make goal a few times. The level of support I've received throughout this process has been amazing. Phoenix Multisport has bent over backwards along with Steve and Mike at Wills Wing, Jeff O’Brien, Jeff Shapiro, and Mark Winchinmer to get me and my gear sorted. Hopefully I can return their investments by inspiring the community Phoenix serves and getting some positive exposure for Wills Wing and hang gliding in the process.

No comments: