Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Flytec Race and Rally - Day 4

The wind this morning had swung around to the north and was a little lighter. A 109km task to the south was called to Avon airport. It would be a challenging day with light lift and a slight crosswind enroute. I take usually forever to get my gear set up and wanted to work on getting faster. I had my glider staged before the meeting in hopes of getting off early.

My Ride Waiting Under the Trees


Terry Taking Off in His Maul
(300 Foot Ground Roll)


When I rocked forward in the cart to tow, Steve noticed my pitch adjuster line was frayed (don’t worry, it’s not structural). I couldn't see it before because it was hidden behind the back plate. Zippy had a look too and thought it would last a few more flights. I was at the front of the line and decided to take a tow.

The tow was fine and I pinned off in smooth air. After searching upwind of Quest for a while I found a good thermal and soon a big gaggle formed. It was fun flying with everyone and searching for cores. I was about the middle of the gaggle most of the time.

Having Fun
You Can See Quest in my Glasses


Quest From Above


Looks Like a Light Day


Hanging Out in the Start Circle



After a few climbs it was obvious it was going to be a challenging day, but I wasn't having any trouble staying up either. My left shoulder was bothering me a little and I thought my pitch angle was slowly changing. I could have been my imagination, but if it wasn't I still had time to land, fix it, and get back up before the launch window closed.

Love These Colors


The Course Line


I decided to land and fix it. There were a few people below me struggling, but I found good lift over the pond. I actually had to work to get down. As I rocked upright I got my foot caught in the zipper pull line. I was coming down fast and would need it soon. I struggled and eventually it released. I didn't know it at the time, but when it released it was because the zipper blew out.

Deciding to Land


On the ground I rallied with Jamie’s help to get some replacement pitch adjuster line. I had the problem fixed in time to tow up before launch closed at 2:30. At the top of the second tow I could see a huge gaggle to the south. It would take a thermal or two, but I was confident I could catch them.

Broken


Fixed


When I pinned off I pulled the zipper chord and realized the slider was off the track. My zipper was blown and my day was over. I could probably gain a few points by heading out on course, but I would hold up Erin our driver from chasing everyone and have to break down my glider. I decided to hang out over quest and work on my thermalling skills.

After about an hour boating around with another glider I came down. On the ground I learned the other pilot was 82 years old! I hope I’m flying at that age. Jim texted me that he was down and Paul let me take his truck to get him. We had a subway then waited at Quest for everyone to finish. I spent the afternoon fixing the harness zipper by working the slider back on the tracks and safety wiring it shut. It’ll be a little harder to get out of, but I’ll just kick my feet out sooner.

Zipper Fixed


As the sun was setting I took a test flight to make sure it worked. The air was buttery smooth. I put the trials of the day behind me and enjoyed the sunset from 2000 feet. The T2C continues to impress with the shear amount of energy it retains. I set up a base leg over the pond and had to do two 90-degree turns to not overshoot my spot. I still ended up about half a football field too long.

Sunset Tandem Flight Below Me


1 comment:

Glass Doors Hesperia said...

Very nice bloog you have here