Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Flytec Race and Rally - Day 2

Day 2 started at Quest Hang Gliding Park. A downwind 63km task was called to an airport named Leeward. I rigged and readied to go, but the winds were cranking. There was some doubt about whether or not we would end up flying. After watching a few tugs go I decided that no matter what I was not going to fly. I was worried about towing the new glider in such strong winds. Tall trees surround quest and getting through the rotor was my concern. My only decision was to break down so I wouldn’t hold up Erin (our driver), or to stay set up in the event the task was canceled. The day ended up being canceled so I left my glider set up.

You Can See the Wind in the Clouds


Jonny and Carl Pondering the Day


Dragonfly Fun



Davis Launching



Jim and I got a room at a local Motel called the Groveland Motel, which was a few stars below where we had been staying, but more budget friendly. I decided to use my sleeping bag instead of worn and unwashed comforter.

The Groveland Motel


After we got checked I set up the Ritchie Breakaway for a ride. Florida’s roads are not a friendly place to cycle with no shoulders and ignorant drivers. About two miles into the ride we hit road construction. The ridge between the new pavement and old was about 3 inches tall, but deceptively hidden under the temporary paint lines. I knew there was a ridge, but didn’t anticipate how tall it was. I went down on the rough graded asphalt at about 25mph. It was ugly. I got a massive 8” diameter road rash on my hip, a 6” one on my forearm, and little bits and pieces on my hand, shin, angle, and palm.

The Breakaway Cross


Man Down


Pressing On with Jim on the Rail Trail



The Closest Thing to an Alligator we Could Find


I irrigated it with water and got some of the tiny rocks out, but it was dirty. I couldn’t believe I fell on such a small pavement ridge, but on the way back Jim almost crashed in the same spot. The paint lines did a good job of hiding it. I tried to be professional about the road rash and keep on going. Jim and I had a nice ride along an abandoned railroad bed that was converted to a bike trail. There were tortoises, wild turkeys, but we couldn’t find any alligators. I screamed so loud cleaning my wounds with hydrogen peroxide that I lost my voice.

Post Ride Items - Ouch!

No comments: