Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Lookout to Boulder in April

Last Sunday was a particularly epic soaring day along the front range. I was working, of course, but the fellas had some great runs to the north. Sam Crater is a local hot shot paraglider pilot and excellent photographer. Here is his account of his XC flight from Lookout Mountain, in Golden, to Boulder. It's a pretty easy flight to do, but it has always eluded me. One of my first goals when I get back from Florida is to follow his route!

It was a southy and a little too strong for us PGs at midday, and not all that lifty. Sometime after 2:00, we started getting lighter NE cycles, and hangies started going up, and Andy and Muzzi got off in some of the first good cycles. I launched around 2:30, and struggled to find a good strong thermal for a while; while there was no particularly big turbulence, the air was very twitchy and I kept very busy keeping my wing under control. After a while I got in a good thermal with Andy, and we climbed to 10.5k or so and took off north. Andy outclimbed me in this thermal, setting a very upsetting precedent for the whole flight.

We met up with Mike Jobin and Mark Denzel north of the highway department, struggled there together for a long time, then got up and had an easy glide to Ralston Butte where we also all had to struggle. Andy and I got the best thermal out finally, and we split up again. Meanwhile Ed arrived from back behind the hill and I think joined up with Mike and Mark.

From here Andy and I had a fairly easy flight, and at the Flatirons Andy came down a bit so I could get pictures of him. Mike, Ed, and Mark had a harder time of it, with only Mike making it all the way to North Boulder. At North Boulder we met Muzzi, who had beat us all to goal flying solo ahead of us, and Arnaud and James who had launched at Boulder and were completing 4 hour (!) flights of their own. Mike arrived, and we all flew a lapse at Boulder.

It was a great day, and our friend Benzie made it perfect by picking everyone up and giving us a ride back after a nice dinner at Protos.

Andy and mike where wet me up, near the first cut in the hogback


Mike, with Arvada Res


Andy. The view of the divide was more beautiful than my camera could quite capture


Andy over Ralston Res


Andy approaching Ralston Butte


Andy working light lift at the summit of Ralston Butte. This is an odd view; that rock in the background is actually the very top of the massive SW facing wall that rock climbers call Coors Crag.


Eldorado Canyon


Andy over Bear peak, with the numbered flatirons to the left



This one has the pointy Third Flatiron in the background


More Andy


First, Second, and Third Flatirons, L to R


Looking south, with Eldorado Canyon and South Boulder Peak. I personally love this one


Andy over Upper Flagstaff Road


The Flatirons again, from the north now


Andy, showing both his office and his house


Muzzi, Arnaud and James greeting us


Muzzi and James


CU, downtown Boulder, and old North Boulder in a long view


This development chased us all the way to Boulder; we were just at the edge of its shadow the whole way, and at times we left lift early to keep moving ahead of it. After we arrived, however, it stalled, letting us have a perfect lapse flight, some of the easiest flying I've done this year.


Great Job Guys!!!

No comments: