Thursday, April 15, 2010

Hang Glider Rack in 1 Hour

I'm in the process of selling every single piece of extraneous equipment I own right now to fund an upcoming comp (post to follow soon). I sold my Talon to a guy from Austin and agreed to meet him in Lamar, CO, about 4 hours away. That's an 8 hour drive and after driving 60 hours in 4 days last month I wanted to do this drive in comfort and make "good time". That required finding a way to to haul my glider on Jo's Touring (aka wagon). The solution was simple, here's how:

Hang Glider Rack in 1 Hour

Ingredients:
1 BMW Touring with Roof Rack
1 12' Extension Ladder
3 6' Pipe Wrap Pads
4 U Bolt Connectors
1 Roll Gorilla Tape



Installation:

1. Move rack cross bars as far apart as possible.


2. Separate ladder into 2 pieces.


3. Cut padding into 14" sections.


4. Wrap padding over rungs


5. Cover seams with tape.


6. Bolt ladder to crossbars




Done! It took me 58 minutes from start to finish. I tested it out with the Falcon 225 which is about 3 feet longer than the Talon. It worked great and even at triple digit speeds it wasn't terribly loud.


No comments: