Monday, April 12, 2010

Learning to Fly (all over again) - The Mustang II

In December Tim took me up in his Mustang II (you can read all about the Mustang II in my post here). After the flight he offered to let me fly it, which would require a good bit of training on my part to become proficient.

The Mustang II




An airline pilot in a small plane makes for an interesting afternoon. I learned to fly in small planes, but it had been about 8 years since I'd flown anything regularly that didn't burn Jet A. Luckily it came back quick. The first order of business was getting single engine current. Another friend, Jason, has access to a Cessna 206 and is also current as a flight instructor. We went up on a crisp winter day and did an hour of touch and go's. In the past when I've flown small planes I'm usually squirming my seat at how slow they fly and how low to the ground they are. Being aware of this I mentally took my jet hat off and put my small plane hat on. My landings weren't bad and after a few I felt right at home in the Cessna 206.

Jason's Cessna 206





The next step was getting proper instruction in the Mustang II. Tim took me up for a few more demonstration flights then I hooked up with Billy Mitchell a local experimental aircraft instructor and test pilot. I got a feel for the Mustang quickly. In the air it is a pleasure to fly with neutral, but stable flight characteristics. Its fast and efficient wing planform and chord is based off the P-51 Mustang WWII fighter. Stalls happen with little drama, but also little warning. After doing a few it's easy to predict the stall break, but the recovery has to be precise to avoid entering a secondary stall.

Tim Landing


Long's Peak


Learning to land the Mustang II was a different story because it’s a short wheel base tailwheel aircraft. My first flying lessons were in a tailwheel 1946 Piper J3 Cub, but other than a basic understanding of tailwheel operation my Cub time didn't help me. It was slow going but I eventually got more comfortable and confident with my landings. Flying barefoot helped a lot because I could feel every bit of feedback through the pedals. My tendency was carry too much speed "over the fence" and touch down before the Mustang II was ready. This would sometimes result in porpusing, hopping down the runway. After a few more landings I got my porpusing under control. Billy was ready to sign me off, but I wanted to take another lesson with him in more challenging conditions just to be sure. We went up on a bumpy crosswind day and after the flight I felt ready to venture out on my own.

The J3 Cub I Started Flying In


The Speedy Mustang II


I believe in baby steps when it comes to aviation, picking the right day was crucial. Last week a high-pressure system set in and brought the perfect day. I had a few encouraging conversations with Tim and headed out to the airport. Jo was brave enough to come with me. It would be first flight for both of us. We took off and headed west towards Boulder, then followed highway 36 north towards Lyons. Along the way I let Jo take the stick, but she wasn't comfortable flying for very long. After a few maneuvers we headed to Loveland Airport for some touch and go's. I did 3 touch and go's and my landings were spot on. The only drama of the flight was a crosswind that had picked up back at Erie airport. I was apprehensive, but then I thought it's an airplane, no big deal, just fly it like one. My first landing was decent, but I wasn’t 100% satisfied with my touch down so I went around. I could have saved it, but in doubt go around. The second landing was smooth as glass and it felt great nailing it.

Our First Flight




Mission Accomplished


Tim and his Mustang II along with Billy have reinvigorated my passion for powered flight and learning to fly something new has been tremendously rewarding.

No comments: