Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Flytec Race and Rally - Day 3

I was unsure about whether I would be able to fly today because of my road rash. My hip was beaming with pain and my elbow was super sore. My dressings were soaked with bloody puss, but they matched the dried bloodstains on the Groveland Motel’s sheets. Just kidding! The Groveland Motel is perfect for the price.

When we got to Quest I hooked up my harness and went for a test flight. I had only flown once at Quest back in 2006 for my first tandem aerotow flight. Trevor took me up to 4000 feet and I PIO’ed (pilot induced oscillation) a bit, but I think it was just not being used to the glider. Above 2000 feet the air was smooth as glass and the morning light basked the world below in a warm glow. My hip was sore, but I decided flying wouldn’t be a problem. I practiced rocking up right and then took in the morning.

Test Flying After the Bike Crash


Terry Reynolds Flew in his Maul for the Day


The T2C felt perfect. I slowly drifted down to 2000 feet and hit a nice thermal over the pond with an Osprey. We flew together for about 10 minutes then I had to land to go to the pilot meeting. I didn’t want to, the air was buoyant, but gentle.

At the meeting a task to Greystone Airport was called, about 80km to the north. My glider was already in the launch line, but when I got out to launch the wind was cranking again. I decided to wait a bit to see if it lightened up. It didn’t and eventually the launch closed with about half the pilots in the air. You could see the wind was strong aloft and eventually gliders started raining down as people landed for a re-light. Even though the task wasn’t canceled, the pilots in the air wouldn’t get many points because so many people didn’t launch. A lengthy discussion ensued about whether we should stay at Quest or drive to the north to continue the rally. Eventually it was decided to stay at Quest and hope for the flying weather to improve.

Landing in the Rotor


Should We Stay or Should We Go Discussion


Part II


Enjoying the Shade


I walked my glider over to the trees and tied it down in the safety of shade and calm air. A bunch of us headed into town for lunch then spent the afternoon hanging out at Quest. I really wanted to jump in the pond, but feared I would get an exotic infection with the amount of road rash from my crash. I went for a canoe instead and searched for the local 4-foot gator that lives in the pond.

Searching for the Alligator


Here's One I Saw the First Day


All I Saw Were Lilly's


Rope Swing



Sunset


Moon Rise

No comments: