Sunday, May 02, 2010

Flytec Race and Rally - Day 6

We woke up to an overcast sky today. The forecast called for rain in the afternoon, but it was questionable if the overcast would break before the rain. We had breakfast at the hotel dinner then headed to the ice cream shop for the pilot meeting. The goal was to get to Moultrie, Georgia, about 230k to the northwest.

Breakfast


Meeting


Rain


When we got to Williston Airport it was becoming obvious that we wouldn’t make it that far. The overcast was broken in spots, but it looked like it would be a light day. We rigged, cued our gliders, and hung out. The task was shortened to Live Oaks Airport, 118K to the northwest. I launched early and pinned off in 100fpm (feet per minute) lift. OB was already in the air and came over for a few turns. As more pilots towed up a gaggle formed.

Bobby, Campbell, and Jim Waiting


Dustin Demonstrating the T2C's Energy Retention


More Waiting






As the gaggle matured we would drift a few km north of the field then glide upwind for the next thermal. After a few thermals I’d had enough and went out on course completely ignoring the start clock. It was a big risk to take, but there was sun and promising clouds in that direction. I found a good climb at 1500’ and got up to 2500’ before leaving again. A bunch of people followed, but a few didn’t find the lift and landed. It wasn’t long before some of the better pilots climbed through me and nice gaggle had formed.

Hanging in the Start Circle



I wanted to keep moving and went on glide with Daniel from Columbia, also in a red, white, and black T2C, and Campbell in his rigid wing. We found a descent climb and got back up to 2300’ near the edge of the start circle. Campbell climbed through us and headed north while Daniel and I headed west. We spread out in search mode looking for something and found nothing. Soon we were low. Landing areas were available, but not plentiful. I found a nice field free of expensive horses that wasn’t fenced.

I was at 500’ looking for a low save. I hit a bump and turned. Daniel, also in survival mode, quickly came over and we worked it together. It varied from zero sink to 100fpm up. We quickly drifted downwind out of reach of the good field. Down wind there were a few horse fields followed by nothing but trees. The last good option was a rough field with one mangy cow in it. I fumbled drifting downwind in zero sink until to continue on would mean landing in the trees. I broke off and landed next to the cow.

On the Ground with Daniel



Our Curious Neighbor


The Gaggle Overhead


Daniel hung out for a few more turns then landed next to me. As we broke down the massive gaggle drifted overhead. It hurt to see them above in cool air while we baked on the ground and were attacked by flies. I should have stayed with gaggle. Even though I didn’t make it very far I was pleased with my flying. I climbed well, glided efficiently, and worked well with Daniel. If I had waited just a little later in the day I think it would have worked.

Wildflowers


Erin picked me up and we headed north, picking up Jim, Dustin, and Zippy and pressed on for the 2-hour drove to Moultrie.

No comments: