Friday, May 07, 2010

Bike to Work Day (for me)

When my knee is healthy I try to bike to work regularly. It saves gas and allows me to train on days when I wouldn't be able to get a 2-3 hour ride in. When I'm in shape I enjoy it. Since my knee has been down I've had no desire to do it. Outside of the training benefit, it's a miserable ride in traffic, wind, and unfriendly roads. The only enjoyable part is the mission aspect of having to get there. Since leaving for Florida my car has been stuck at the airport. That was enough motivation for me to give it a shot yesterday.

There are two routes I take. A long 50 mile route to the north that follows Baseline Road to Highway 7 then south to the airport. I prefer to take that route home as there is no time crunch and it's more scenic. The short route is 36 miles that follows city streets through Broomfield and Thornton. It's shorter, but the roads aren't as friendly. Favoring my knee I decided to take the short route yesterday.

The Short Route



When I was in shape my best time to cover the 36 mile route was 1:56. That's an average of only 18.9mph, but factoring in a heavy back pack, traffic lights, and a few nasty uphills I think it was a good time. It took me 2:15 yesterday, which considering that I've ridden less than 200 miles this year isn't too shabby. I was also on my cross bike (sold the road bike) with a heavier than normal pack (uniform, shoes, toiletries, and food).

The Cross Bike


Enjoying the Morning


Denver Skyscrapers Peaking Over the Horizon


Just Follow the Signs



The wind was gusting to about 30 knots out of the north, which was a constant annoyance when I was headed east, but I really appreciated it when I was headed south. It was refreshing to take in the morning from my bike. I'd forgotten how enjoyable it was to have the wind in my face and not to have to worry about traffic. The sun was shining, my knee pain was bearable, and the Ritchie Break-Away Cross ran like a champ. I enjoyed my time before work pondering how grateful I was to live in wide open Colorado and how nice it is to just ride my bike.

Wide Open Colorado


1 comment:

Ian said...

Hello, nice post.