Monday, May 03, 2010

Flytec Race and Rally - Day 7

The last day of the Flytec Race and Rally was a 120k task to Americus Airport. The Moultrie Airport was the most developed airport we had been to yet. It had a huge paved ramp, tons of hangers, and a full FBO. It had rained hard the night before and everything was soaked. The day looked similar to day 6 with low stratus clouds, although the wind was a bit stronger. Thunderstorms were forecast for the afternoon, but it looked like we might get a break before the storms hit.

We rigged in the grass between the runway and ramp area and waited. The wind had picked up quite a bit and rigging in the strong wind and mud was not ideal. In a repeat of the previous day two later start clocks were added. We hung out enjoying each other’s company until someone decided to take a tow.

Wind


Derek Turner was the first to go followed by OB. After watching their tows I decided I wasn’t going to fly unless conditions changed dramatically. Tall trees bordered the perimeter of the airport and the rotor at tree level was more than I cared to fly my newly accustomed wing through. Jeff got a tow above the broken cloudbase and we were all envious of his view. Davis towed up next and soon he and OB were turning below a nice sized cloud.

Derek's Tow


As they turned together the air didn’t look that rowdy. If we could get off safely it would be an easy day to blaze down wind, but towing and landing in the rotor still concerned me. Too many people have helped me to risk taking a chance with the new glider. I decided to move it into the wind shadow of a tree line and break down so that if the day were a go I wouldn’t delay Erin in chasing our group.

The day was eventually canceled. I was disappointed that I didn’t get to fly one last time, especially after my aggressive decision making put me on the ground so early the day before, but I was also pleased with my decision making. Jack Simmons put it best by saying “The soldier who turns around and runs away lives on to fight another day!”

This Little Guy is a Good Metaphor for Jacks Wisdom



After everyone broke down we went to Western Sizzlin’ Restaurant for dinner and the awards ceremony. Zippy finished in third place. Dustin and Jonny had been battling for first. On day 6 Jonny slipped into the lead beating out Dustin by a mere 9 points. It was good fun spending one last meal with everyone. Whether we fly or not, it’s the people that make this sport amazing. Emersion into the competition world has been somewhat daunting for me and everyone has been incredibly welcoming. I’m especially thankful to the Jeff’s for helping me get my glider sorted and all of their guidance over the comp, to Erin for driving and hotel coordination, Zippy for answering all my constant questions, and Jim for everything from hauling me around to his awesome company throughout the week.

Zippy


Zippy, Jonny, and Dustin


After dinner David Glover, Jeff Shapiro, Jim and I loaded up in his suburban and headed west. The first stop was Oklahoma City to drop David off. We took turns driving and dropped David off just after breakfast. The three of us pressed on and made Denver 26 hours after leaving Georgia. Along the way Oklahoma teased us with perfect soarable cloud streets. I tried to be a sponge and soak up everything that Jeff and Jim had to say about the Rally and hang gliding competition in general.

26 Hours Back to Colorado





Perfect Sky in Oklahoma


In hindsight I wish I would have made a few different decisions throughout the week, especially not going out on course the day my harness broke, but it was an invaluable learning experience. I flew a total of 165km in 8 hours with my longest flight being 88km. The T2C is amazing ship and I can’t wait to get to know it more in Colorado’s thin air. My goal now is to approach my flying here as disciplined training to build my thermalling efficiency, XC skills, and decision making.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to follow your progress...
Go for it!
AGW