Sunday, May 16, 2010

Bike Touring in Eugene

I found myself in Eugene, OR yesterday. It was a beautiful sunny 75 degree day which was pure bliss after spending the last week in Colorado's cold and snow. I happened to have the Ritchie Break-Away Cross bike with me and took the opportunity to explore the town and get a ride in. Unfortunately I forgot my camera and had only crappy iPhone camera to take pics with.

Eugene, Oregon


Eugene is located at the south end of Willamette Valley where the McKenzie and Willamette Rivers meet. The town itself has a super cool vibe, way cooler than Boulder I have to admit. I imagine it was like Boulder was 10 to 15 years ago, before it's steadily increasing wealth brought uptightness and rules that make a mockery of its laid back marketing hype. There ton's of cool older houses down town that each had its own unique style. It is also one of the most bike friendly places I've been to. There are bike lanes on almost every road with dedicated signs, routes, and even estimated riding times. Along the rivers there are plentiful bike paths with a mix of modern and reclaimed railroad bridges offering multiple crossing points.

Downtown


Converted Railroad Bridge


I spent an hour riding around town taking talking to people, sampling the farmers market, and even managed to find a pair of Puma Driving Shoes in my size I've been looking for forever. People were super friendly with absolutely no ego or attitude, dare I say unlike Boulder!

Geese in the Park


Bike Friendly Eugene


The Building Next to this phone booth was a sports car shop. I was drawn in by MG's and Triumphs in the yard, then in the show room I saw it. Glistening on the other side of the glass was a Ferrari F430 Scuderia. I know, so typical, lusting after a Ferrari. It was pure sex in automobile form. I drooled through the glass and imagined flogging all 510 horses to their limit. I pride myself as being someone who, if they owned a Ferrari, would drive it to its limit, which is probably enough reason along for me not to have a Ferrari! As I was drooling, the owner shooed me off the "closed" property, hence why below is a photo of a British telephone booth and not the afore mentioned Scuderia!

The Ferrari
(see above)


The lush green mountains surrounding the valley were a majestic sight. I rode up to the hills north of town and climbed through pine forests that would put the best of Colorado to shame. In the distance the snow covered volcanic peaks of the Three Sisters added depth and color to the landscape.

The Hills North of Town


After the hills I was starting to fade, but it was such I nice day I decided to add another lap around the bike paths along the river. It was only 12 more miles, but I took my time and soaked in the sun. When I got back to the hotel I was spent. A day like that was the exact reason I got the Break-Away - easy to travel with, no compromises, and capable off road!

The Break-Away Cross

No comments: