Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Training Update 9-1-08 Running on Empty

Between night shifts, I only managed one ride last week not including The King of the Rockies race. It was a 25 mile easy ride from my house around the Marshall Mesa trail system with Ramine. I finished the ride by following him into Boulder and back to get the mileage above 20.

The other day I was running some errands and trying to stay awake on the drive between stops when "Running on Empty", by Jackson Browne came on KBCO. It was a fitting sound track for how I've felt the last couple weeks. I couldn't help but flash back to the scene in Forest Gump where Tom Hanks finally stopped running in the middle of Monument Valley. Some other interesting Running on Empty trivia. It was first recorded on August 27, 1977, 10 minutes from my Mom's house in Columbia, Maryland at Merriweather Post Pavillion. [1] I was 371 days old. On August 14 of this year Jackson Browne sued John McCain and the Republican National Committee for copy-right infringement for using "Running on Empty" in an add mocking Barack Obama. The Ohio Republican Party who generated the add with John McCain's approval did not get permission or pay any royalties. [1] [2]

Here's the orignial performance in 1977 at Merriweather Post Pavillion.


Back on topic, I've been running on empty too long and it's catching up to me. I have always been able to dig into my well and use my high misery tolerance to get through whatever the adventure demanded, be it riding, road tripping, or work without ideal sleep. I vastly underestimated the toll a prolonged night shift work schedule combined with adding a couple races in August would take on me. I can still rally, just not as much as when I worked nights last as a stagehand in my early 20's. My riding has vastly improved this year and while it's great to be able to utilize more of my potential I need to respect the rest required to do so. Today I woke up from my morning nap at noon and started the 10 foot walk to the bathroom. About 5 feet into the trek I encountered Molly laying in the hall. I bent down to give her some love and woke up on the floor 3 hours later. I guess I wasn't ready to get up yet!

My 2008 race season ended on Saturday. I plan on doing the 24 Hours of Moab in October, but I'm not sure what class. If I can recover from this and get some form back I'll do it on a Duo-Pro team, if not I'll try to find a 4 person team. Until then it will be refreshing to get out and enjoy some fun rides that aren't exclusively training. Fall is around the corner and I'm looking forward to some epic fall trail rides in the mountains and locally riding the new connector trail between Heil and Hall Ranches.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I was at that concert. Dang I'm old.