Sunday, September 28, 2008

Australia - Peggy's Birthday

Sunday, September 14th was Peggy's birthday party. Jo and I spent the morning picking up a few more odds and ends at the Fremantle Market. I saw a big guy with a distinctive beard leaning against the wall looking at my menacingly. I recognized him as the burley Rugby player who snatched the exit row seat on the flight from Melbourne. I called him out and said "I know you, you stole my seat mate!" We shared a handshake and a laugh.

Peggy's party was originally to be held on the beach, but it was moved to her friends Di and Eric's house due to wind and rain. Like everyone else we had met in Oz they were extremely generous and hospitable. They had originally offered Jo and I a flat to stay in for the trip.

Jan and Bryn picked us up in Fremanlte and we headed to Peggy's house. I managed to lose the card we had got Peggy so we had to make a hurried stop on the way. This lead to the only injury of the trip (other than minor hypothermia later). As I rushed to seal the card the envelope flap cut my upper lip. Yup, I got a paper cut on my upper lip, worse yet it was across the grain and deep. I've had many injuries on my life and I'll just say that this was one of the most painful! I shrieked out in pain and everyone came running. When they found out it was only a paper cut I was heckled to no end, but I stand by my shrieking to this day.

Paper Cut


(click on the picture)


We drove to Di and Eric's house and enjoyed a wonderful party for Peggy. All of her friends were there and they only confirmed my observation that she is surrounded by an exceptional support group in WA. After a delicious lunch the weather started to clear so we moved outside for some cake. Peggy was presented a bouquet of flowers and everyone took turns expressing what she meant to them by selecting a flower and making a metaphoric comparison. Peggy followed with a quick speech recognizing and thanking everyone and we all had some cake. It was a creative, touching birthday party that couldn't have been more fitting for my Aunt.





After her party Peggy took us on a tour of King's Park in Perth, I'll cover that in a later post.

No comments: