Friday, September 05, 2008

Crankworx Terrain Park on the Superfly

CCrankworx Colorado came to Winter Park back in August. I raced in the cross country race and my Mom, Jo and I watched the some of the qualifiers for the slopestyle event. If your too lazy to scroll, you can read about it Here. There's a great video of the Slopestyle Finals Here.

After the King of the Rockies race last weekend John and I rode up to explore what was left of the Crankworx Colorado terrain park. The Superfly is not the ideal bike to ride on a terrain park. It's carbon 29er race bike which is made to roll over things not huck off them. Nor am I the ideal rider, if I jump higher than 3 feet I go unstable and usually crash. Plus, it hurts more and takes longer to heal these days. Basically I've turned into a giant weenie!

As a result I decided to abort riding down the 20 foot drop leading into the first jump. Looking down from the top I was able to feel the full grasp of how big those guys in Crankworx were going. John is an expert snowboarder and skateboarder who is used to dropping on things and even he thought it was pretty insane. We stood on the rock looking down and imagined how it would feel the first time you committed to the jump.





After deciding to pass on the huge drops and jumps we moved on to the walls. The first one is a 6 foot high 180 degree wall that is used in a few of the Winter Park race courses including the King of the Rockies last weekend. During races I've always picked a medium line it at top speed. It's great because it allows you to carry a ton of speed into what would normally be just a switchback, but the G's compressing you into your seat can catch you off guard. We rode it a couple times and it was fun to just to take it easy and not worry about crashing.



The second wall is at the bottom of the huge drop first jump we stood on earlier. It's a menacing 270 degree turn into a ladder bridge that leads into the slopestyle course. I merged this series of pictures that John took into one shot. I didn't really get that high, but it looks cool!



No comments: