Sunday, September 21, 2008

Australia - The Journey Down Under

As I mentioned below it was a hectic weekend leading up to our departure for Western Australia on Monday, September 8th. Jo and I were busy running errands, picking up last minute items, cleaning, and getting Kate, our dog sitter, dialed. We worked right up to the last minute, making our 2 hour international check in time at Denver International (DIA) with a few minutes to spare.

Getting to Australia, much less Western Australia, is no small feat, now I understand why everyone so was shocked that we only went for 10 days. Even though I fly all the time, the avaition geek in me was excited about the journey. The first leg was on American Airlines to LAX. It was only a 2.5 hour flight on an MD-88, also known as a Super 80 that would serve as little more than a warm up for what lay ahead. We scored an exit row with an isle and a window.

First Leg to LAX


Smoggy LA Basin


After arriving at LAX we caught the bus to the International Terminal where there were two surprises waiting for us. The first was that we were going to Auckland, New Zealand on the way to Melbourne, the second was that it was on a 747-300. You don't see to many 747-300's in the states as most have been replaced by it's successor the 747-400. The easiest way to tell the difference between the 300 and 400 is by the 300's lack of winglets. The 747-300 entered service in 1983 featuring an extended upper deck and increased passenger capacity and range over previous models. It doesn't have the range of the 747-400, however, so it made sense that we were on a 300 to Auckland where it could refuel. I found out later from Anthony that all of QANTAS's 747-300's are going to be retired soon to be replaced by Airbus A330-200's. You can learn more about 747's Here.

QANTAS 747-338, Registration VH-EVB
Our Ship to Oz



VH-EVB Taking Off
Courtesy of Airliners.Net



As we boarded the plane the difference between QANTAS and most American airlines was stark. Economy was closer to domestic business than economy in US airlines as well as the level of service. It was a 10 hour leg to Auckland. I filled it with some dinner, a couple movies and video games on my personal entertainment center, some sleep, breakfast, and more sleep. I did find myself awake when we crossed the International Date Line. You lose two days going to Australia, we left late on the 8th and landed in Auckland on the 10th. I'll leave this earth having never experienced the 9th of September, 2008!

Crossing the International Date Line



Can you see it out the window?



Neither could I!

We had a 3 hour layover in Auckland, but couldn't leave the airport which was pretty busy considering it was 4:00am local time. Jo was surprised when she tried to order a Latte, but could only choose between a "Flat White" or a "Long Black". Officially a Long Black is 60ml of espresso with 120ml of hot water added after brewing, known in the states as an Americano. A Flat White is 60 ml of espresso in a regular cup with steamed milk. It was the first of many cultural idiosyncrasies we would experience. Sprite is known as Lemon Aid even though it is labeled Sprite on the can. I had a "who's on first" moment trying to order one with the flight attendant.

Auckland, New Zealand International Airport



A "Flat White"


After 3 hours in New Zealand (I can't wait to spend a couple more there) we re-boarded VH-EVB to Melbourne. The flight was empty and I was able to score an entire middle row and some sleep for the 4 hour leg.

Sleeping


"Feet Dry" Over the Australian Continent


Melbourne


In Melbourne we had another 3 hour layover until our last leg to Perth. Perth is 2,145 miles from Melbourne, about the same distance as Atlanta, Georgia to Los Angles, California. Our last leg was on a crowded 767-200. It had been almost 24 hours and we were sick of being on airplanes. I tried to move us to exit row after takeoff, but as I got to the seat I found myself staring up at a burly Aussie rugby player who got there first. I mustered the toughest look I could hoping he would give in, but that didn't happen! Incidentally I ran into him again at the Fremantle Market where we shared a laugh about the incident.

A BMW Z3 M Roadster in Melbourne Airport
I couldn't belive it


Finally after 4 more hours, 32 in total, we touched down at 1:00pm in Perth on September 10th. My Mom met us in the parking lot and Joyce and her sister kindly drove us to Fremantle where my Aunt Peggy lives.

On the Ground in Perth
Jo with a Delerious smile


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

that Z3 picture is a classic!!!

AGW