Saturday, September 27, 2008

Australia - Rest Day

In the Tour De France rest days are scheduled to allow riders to recover from miles of racing. Saturday, Jo and I decided to take a rest day. We had been going non-stop since we got to Oz and needed a break. We slept in late and spent the day wondering around Fremantle.

The first stop was at a digeridoo shop to take a lesson and hear the locals play. I've heard the digeridoo played live before, but it's always been in a concert setting. Hearing one played solo in a quaint acustically complimenting environment was incredible. I was amazed at the diverse range of tones and sounds that came out of such a simple instrument. I'll just say that when Jo and I played it was a little less acustically pleasing!




The next stop was the Fremantle Market. It was built in 1897 and is one of Freo's biggest tourist attractions. It's a cavernous antique building lined with stalls and booths of venders selling anything you could imagine including produce, art, electronics, trinkets, music, etc. We wondered around the booths picking up a few gifts for folks at home. I picked up a locally made boomerang with beautiful wood inlays that was carved to fly. I have a couple boomerangs at home and have thrown them for years. The model I got was an advanced design that can be a challenge to get to return with precision. I got it to hover down pretty close after a few tries, although I did scare a few passer by's at the park.




After deciding not endanger anymore locals Jo and I headed out to the water. We took a long walk out to one of the light houses that marks the mouth of the Swan River to enjoy the sunset. It was a long walk and there wasn't much of a sunset, just a couple rays through the clouds, wind, and rays.






The rainy wet weather was getting old, but lucky for us it would break for a few spectacular days soon.


3 comments:

neildini said...

Hey Alex, so what are you shooting all your photos with? They are alway VERY clean and well composed. Nice work.

Anonymous said...

Your first stop looked more like some cafe in Amsterdam.

Cloudbase said...

Ha! That's hillarious Lee!!

Thanks. I shoot with a Canon 20D, edit and crop with Photoshop CS.