Monday, September 08, 2008

Dead Stick Takeoff

Since Jo and I are going to spend 20 hours on an airplane today, I thought an aviation post would be in order. Lee sent me this YouTube video of a dead stick takeoff and dead stick landing. Dead stick is an aviation term referring to flying a powered airplane with no engine power. It normally is used to describe landing after the engine has quit, i.e. dead stick landing. In the video below the pilot does a "sled ride" in his powered Highlander experimental airplane without ever turning the engine on. This would be no big deal in a hang glider, but in a powered airplane it's a little more hectic. The Highlander is a 1320lb gross weight, 2 seat light sport airplane. It's powered by 100 horse power Rotax engine and has a stall speed of only 27 miles per hour. That's only a couple more mph than my hang glider! The best part about the Highlander is the kit only costs $22,800. Maybe this should be my next vehicle...




No comments: