Thursday, August 21, 2008

Roof Racks and Garages

When it comes to bikes, roof racks and garages a particular saying comes to mind; "There are those that have and those that will." Of course what I'm referring to is forgetting your bike is on the roof rack and driving into a garage or low overhang. At the Rio Stampede race in Steamboat everyone had to park in a parking garage and carry their gear to the start area. As Jo and I were making trips back and forth to the car I spotted a weird looking bike mounted on a roof rack. A closer look revealed that it was a Trek Fuel and it looked weird because it was cracked in three places. The most obvious crack was on the down tube and the seat tube, which was completely sheared off.





The owner showed up that morning to race and forgot his bike was on the roof rack. As he drove into the lower level of the parking garage the bike met concrete and lost. Arghhhhhhhhh! I could only imagine his grief. Well actually I have experienced the feeling, as I fall into the "those that have" category. When I moved from Maryland to California I didn't see a low hanging tree branch and sheared my fork out of the mounts cracking the skewer receiver. It was minor damage and hopefully embarrassing enough to prevent me from doing it again. Knock on wood... As Jo and I were walking our bikes out of the garage to mount on the rack we heard a weird scraping sound. URRR. URRR. URRR. URRR. It was what was left of the seat tube scraping each concrete girder of the garage. The owner was obviously so distraught he left the mangled bike on the rack as he pulled out of the garage.

No comments: