Friday, August 29, 2008

King of the Rockies - Pre Race

The King of the Rockies race, the last of the Winter Park series is this weekend. This will be my last race for a while. I underestimated the toll that the last 3 races in 3 weeks took on my body. In hindsight it was a stupid idea to do all three. I'm definitely burned out and fighting knee pain and IT Band syndrome. The King of the Rockies will be my last race in Sport Class and I really want to win it. NORBA requires that if you finish top 5 in 5 races you move up to the next class. If I finish top 5 in the King of the Rockies that would be 5 in 5 for me. Even if I don't, I still I feel obligated to move up next year just to ensure equal opportunity for others and be a good sport.

My original plan was to put together a solid training block last week and taper this week for one final jump start of my form. A work schedule filled with night shifts and crashing on the Monarch Crest trail de-railed any training block that I might have put together. That said my form isn't totally lacking. I did manage to set a new personal record up Flagstaff with Ramine last week, 38:18 to the mail boxes. I guess only the future will tell if the podium is to be mine tomorrow. It's a 25 mile race on a course that I have never ridden before and it's the last one of the series so everyone is going to riding stronger than normal. With good execution and a little luck I think I can do it, hopefully my last sport race will be one to be proud of.

Course:




Elevation Profile:


Climb Gradients:

No comments: