Friday, March 27, 2009

Molly Cam

I was brainstorming new uses for the Hero Cam recently when a brilliant idea literally knocked me out of my chair. Okay, I was leaning back too far and the chair got away from me. As I picked myself up off the floor I could hear my 2nd grade teacher's voice echoing in my head - "Don't lean back in your chair, you fall and crack your head!"

Back on topic, my idea was Molly Cam. The Hero Cam was surely shock resistant and waterproof enough withstand what Molly could dish out, the problem was finding a way to mount it. I tried using a strap-on helmet mount attached to her collar, but within 30 seconds it was dangling below her belly. After some more thought and chair fallings I decided her life jacket would be the best platform. I used two cam straps lashed in opposite directions to secure a base plate to the top of the life jacket and it held the camera rock solid.



The last ingredient was a suitable walk to take her and the other dogs on. The 18" of snow we got yesterday was the perfect opportunity (see previous post). The footage is jittery and nauseating, but it's hilarious to see a walk from Molly's perspective.

4 comments:

Jo's Mom said...

I love seeing her ears flap when she runs. It feels like you are sitting on Dumbo's back when he flies!
Now I see why see was wearing a life jacket in yesterday's photos. Very clever, Alex!

James Butler said...

Can you post that again, it didn't play for me.

lee said...

this is great. she didn't move around as much as the guy shooting the hovercraft video.

Franz said...

That is good stuff! What's the tune you got playing in the background?