Sunday, March 29, 2009

Aerotowing in Colorado

When I checked the Rocky Mountain Hang Gliding and Paragliding website to see if anyone was going to fly last weekend, Jim had posted a thread about aerotowing on Sunday. I had heard rumors about Jim and Tim getting their Dragonfly towing operation up and running, but nothing solid. I was stoked to see they were operational. Ever since I moved to Colorado I've fantasied about aerotowing. Between working most weekends, not having a tow rating, and missing good opportunities to learn I could never seem to make it happen. Last Sunday I finally did and it was awesome.

I headed out to Farm Flight, about 50 miles east of Boulder on the high plains at 6:00 am Sunday morning. When I rolled up Jim, Tim, and JT were there setting up. JT was about to take a tow on Tim's brand new Wills Wing Sport 2. Farm Flight had everything we needed. There was a shaded common area facing the runway with picnic tables, refreshments and a grill Jim had brought. It was surrounded by plenty of grass to set up, hangers, port-o-johns, and of course dogs. There was plenty of wide open space to the west and north to bail out if a weak link broke down low. The last ingredients were dolly's, a golf cart, and Tim and Jim's loaner Dragonfly.

Farm Flight

Tim Test Flying the Dragonfly

I helped JT as much as I could and made it a point to watch his technique as he towed past. He had a solid takeoff and soon disappeared into the mountains on the horizon. While JT was exploring the air Jim and I got my harness dialed. I didn't have tow loops installed so we choked tow bridals on the shoulder straps until get permanent loops. I opted for a release on each side and Jim hooked me up with a smooth broken-in release for the primary on my right side. JT landed, reported that the air was mostly smooth, and took another tow.

JT's Tow


JT's Landing

After JT's second tow is was my turn. I would be lying if I said I wasn't nervous, it would be my 6th aerotow ever and my first time towing since I got my rating. I mentally rehearsed the tow and my "outs" if a weak link broke, then I asked Jim and JT to listen to me talk through my flight plan. They gave some good input and after running the pre-tow checklist I told Jim I was ready. Jim gave the signal and Tim hit the power. The Sport 2 wanted to lift off the dolly in no time, but I waited a few extra moments before releasing the dolly. The only major difference from towing in Florida was the dust cloud generated from the Dragonfly's prop. Before long we had cleared the field and were climbing quickly. Even at a field elevation of 5500' the Dragonfly had plenty of power.

My Tow

Hanging Out Left of the Tug

As we climbed out to the west, the snow-capped Rocky Mountains were spectacular. I've seen the view a million times at work, but it was different being out in the open air and 360 vantage of a hang glider. I would argue that the mountains are more impressive from out in the plains than up close in Boulder. Tim signaled and I pinned of at 2500' (about 8000' above sea level). The air was as smooth as glass. Towing is such a contrast to the mountain sites in Colorado in that the first moments aren't spent frantically trying to work any lift possible to get high. I tucked the tow bridle in my harness, relaxed, and took in the view. Everyone raves about the Sport 2 and I can confirm that it flies like a dream. I explored the VG range, then did a set of wing overs followed by a stall. It certainly felt like a high performance glider, which would haunt me later.

Enjoying the Sport 2



I had the Hero Cam mounted on my helmet and after another set of wing overs I lined up above the runway to film Tim taking off again in the Dragonfly. He was giving Maureen a ride. As they climbed above me I worked an area of zero sink and set up my for my landing. The wind was light out of the southwest, I found another area of zero sink down low over a dark cow pin that was about abeam the downwind end of the runway. As the lift petered out I rolled out from my turn into a downwind, base, and final approach. I had a great landing right where I planned just past the port-o-johns.

My Landing





Here's a Hero Cam video of the entire tow:

After I landed I asked JT to critique my takeoff. I felt like I was over controlling a bit on tow and seemed to hang out slightly left of the tug (just like in Florida). JT gave me some good feedback and suggested I lead with my shoulders and not my feet, using more "bump" corrections. I knew not to lead with my feet, but in hindsight I was definitely doing it. On the second tow I consciously lead with my shoulders and immediately noticed the difference. The corrections were more immediate making it easier to follow the tug. In fact the entire second tow was cleaner and uneventful until the landing.

The morning air had given way to rowdier midday air. I had visions of dialing my thermal skills while exploring the area. It was a little too early and the thermals were too light and disorganized to climb in. I gave up on staying up and started boxing the field to set up my approach. Then I noticed a big truck driving down the dirt road next to Farm Flight. Surely this would trigger any potential thermals that were brewing on the surface. I hung out in the disorganized zero sink above the same cow pin as the first tow waiting. Nothing ever came and my greediness would soon bite me in the ass. I stayed above the cow pin until the last possible turn then set up for my approach. All I needed to do was roll out on base and drop into the field. The wind had picked up so I would have landed almost in the same spot as before. Instead I rolled out on a downwind and hit solid sink. I pulled in to keep my speed, but burned up any altitude I could have made the field with in the process. Quickly, I thought up a plan B. There was a slight incline on the east end of a clearing past a junk yard of farm equipment. I flew straight to it and planned on taking the uphill with a slight left cross wind. It worked out, but as I was running out the landing I let the left wing rise and the nose came over in slow motion. Both I and the glider were fine, but it was an embarrassing contrast to my previous landing. The hill I landed into wasn't visible from the patio and everyone wondered what the hell I was doing.

Tim's Sport 2 had never had its nose cone soiled and I felt horrible for being the first to do so. Part of the problem was that I did not properly account for the difference in performance of the Sport 2 compared to my Fusion. The Sport 2 felt "sporty" in flight, but even though the Fusion is old and wrinkly, it easily has enough performance for me to have made the field in that situation. Regardless of the glider, turning downwind when I was in a perfect position to roll out on base with some extra altitude was stupid. Most of the mountain sites in Colorado are somewhat restricted so there isn't much room for choice in how to approach them. I think having so many different choices in the wide open plains threw me for a loop. Either way it was a learning experience and not one I will repeat if Tim let's me fly his glider again.

Overall it was a great day and aerotowing in Colorado was a dream come true. Jim and Tim have a solid operation and JT's input was invaluable for me in my learning process. I'm going to keep progressing incrementally, perhaps towing the Fusion next time. The cross country potential in the eastern plains is huge. I've seen cloud streets set up there that go to the horizon. On the right day a flight deep into Nebraska could be well within reach. Thanks to Jim, Tim, JT, Rick for taking pictures, and everyone else who came out for a great day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great to see you flying again. Can't wait for an epic plains XC story.

AGW