Saturday, March 21, 2009

Jo's New Ride

It's been a rough week since my last post (below). Not much has changed with my knee, although I did get in to see Andy Pruitt. Thanks to everyone who emailed, commented, called, and encouraged me this week. Your support is phenomenal. I do have a plan of attack for salvaging the season which I'll post it when I iron out the details.

In the meantime, I've learned over the years that the best way to get out of a funk is to get out of myself. True happiness comes from giving and being of service to others, so I took up a project that's been on my list for some time. Back in January when I first posted about the HiFi (here), I promised to reveal in a future post the source of the Sram XO parts I swapped out for the HiFi's Shimano XT components. That source was this, a 2009 Gary Fisher Superfly.

Another Superfly!?



That's right, there has been another Superfly living in our stable, but this one is a size Medium. The blatant consumerism is nauseating isn't it! Really!! In true consumeristic form, i.e. 12 months of zero interest, I was able to surprise Jo with it at Christmas. I say "at" instead of "for", because by selling her Spot singlespeed and with 9 months left to pay off the difference, it's her purchase. I was just the facilitator. Having ridden a carbon bike on the White Rim trip she was ready to enter the realm of carbon mountain bikes. The problem was that other than a few rare factory models there aren't any carbon singlespeed 29ers around, so we would have to convert it. Which brings me full circle back to this week's project.

Jo has been engulfed in working, renewing her EMT, and getting her Yoga Instructor Cert. so building up the bike hasn't been a priority. Having stripped it of shifters and derailleurs, her Superfly hung naked from the basement ceiling until last Thursday. It needed a singlespeed crank, SS chain, cog, and chain tensioner. Since the Superfly doesn't have horizontal drop outs the chain tensioner would be the biggest headache. The simplest solution (isn't that the point of a singlespeed - simplicity) was a Yess Labs bottom bracket mount chain tensioner.



It works like this (from another Superfly SS conversion).



With the chain tensioner set, a FSA 32 tooth crankset with a clear polycarbonate bash ring, Sram singlespeed chain, Chris King 19 tooth cog, and a Surly spacer kit would complete the build.

Thursday, after a painfully slow (pun intended) ride up 4 Mile Canyon, Doug and I set to work. It was a quick and relatively painless build. It turns out that the 32-19 gearing combination and semi-vertical dropouts allowed the chain to be the perfect length and tension without the tensioner. Although, that will change if Jo decides to run a different gear. Doug literally tightened the last bolt as Jo pulled up into the driveway. It was a great surprise. She was stoked! It weighs 18 pounds. Here's the finished product.



















Jo and I went out for the SS Superfly's first ride on Friday. If I could describe the Superfly in one word it would be "Love". Every time I ride it I love it more! As a singlesspeed the Superfly shined even more. The bike is stunning and has a ride that backs up it's looks. It fit Jo like a glove and even though she's only ridden a handful of times this year, she was fast! So fast that I would have stayed at home and saved my knee if I had known that's how it was gonna be. She went out again today, a sunny Saturday afternoon, and whooped some gaper ass. I'm scared to see how fast she's going to be when she gets some proper training miles in her legs.

1 comment:

F.W. Adams said...

Random drooler here--very, very nice and congrats to Jo!