Saturday, March 01, 2008

Progress on the Honda

I was able to work a little more on the Honda last week. Click Here and Here for previous Honda posts. When the car was stolen the bastards punched the radio and center dash console breaking the heater control knob. I was able to get a replacement center dash console cheap off of ebay, but it was badly faded by UV exposure. I combined the working pieces from the original and the one off ebay to make a functional and complete center console that didn't look too bad.











Next I addressed the radio. With some work, I managed to get the stock radio to come alive and everything worked fine until I tried to turn the volume down. Movement of the knob in either direction would only increase the volume. While trying to trouble shoot it, it got so loud that our weird neighbors came over and asked if "I could stop blasting my rock and roll music!" I apologized and replied that the loud music wasn't being blasted for pleasure, the radio was broken and it was stuck that loud. "Where did you get that car anyway!?"; she asked with curious disdain, to which I replied; "It was stolen". I could tell she wasn't sure if I meant that I stole it or bought it as theft recovery, but before I could explain she was headed back across the street. Her rhythm was perfect as she stormed off, slammed her door, locked the dead bolt, and cracked the blinds to stare at me from the safety of her house. I'm used to it. Those neighbors have be fascinated with me and the crazy goings-ons in my garage ever since I moved in. I will often be working in the garage and suddenly feel like I'm being watched only look up to see a slit in their blinds slam shut. I laughed and decided an aftermarket stereo was in order which other than taking a few hours to make a custom wiring harness went in without a hitch.





The Honda is awesome! It has turned out to be a great replacement to Jo's ailing Saturn. We got it registered last week and have both been driving it since. On days that I work I drive it while Jo uses my truck, It's a win-win situation. Jo can haul the dogs manageably in my truck on her short commute to work. My 30 mile commute is done in environmentally friendlier vehicle reducing my carbon foot print and saving gas money. So far I've been getting 33mpg, but I'm going to replace and clean the intake and oxygen sensors to try to up that to over 35mpg.

No comments: