Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Vulcan

My travels this week were diverse although random. I thought I'd share a couple posts about the things I happen to encounter while visiting such places. I didn't bring my camera on this trip so you'll have to live with poor quality cell phone pics. Vulcan is the Roman god of fire and forge. This 56 foot statue located in Birmingham was originally built in 1904 for the St. Louis worlds fair. You can learn more about Birmingham's Vulcan Here.


Sadly, my journey to the Vulcan was more out of necessity than curiosity. My day in Birmingham was started out great. After sleeping in all morning, I headed downtown for a large breakfast of whole wheat crepes and eggs at the Original Pancake House. I chased breakfast with a double shot of espresso, the perfect remedy to clear my morning fog. The humid southern air was full of the smells of spring, it was just too nice out to go back to my hotel.


I decided to go for a walk up a nearby ridge and take in the morning. About half way up the steep hill I started feeling the beginnings of potentially bad situation. I was suddenly the victim of my own poor planning. Exercise was the perfect catalyst to activate the combination of sleeping late, a heavy brand-laden breakfast, and strong caffeine on my digestive system. By the top of the ridge the situation was critical. I was in dire need of a restroom. My only bathroom options were a known option in a dodgy McDonald's or gamble and hope the Vulcan would offer better facilities. It was a brutal hike up to the top of the hill where the statue was perched. As I struggled with every painful, bloated step towards relief I could thought I caught a glimpse of pity in Vulcan's steel face. I thought to myself, even Roman Gods must find themselves in strange lands without a restroom from time to time. Alas, at the base of the statue my gamble paid off. The Vulcan rewarded my efforts with a clean, refreshing, and sanitary restroom, I could not have asked for anything more...


Relieved, I took in Vulcan Park and mingled among the tourists who had come to visit Birmingham's God of steel for more noble reasons.

No comments: