Friday, March 07, 2008

Savannah Cats

So I was reading Cat Fancy Magazine today... Yes I read Cat Fancy Magazine, in fact I am a premier subscriber - it's my favorite magazine! Okay, I don't really have a subscription to Cat Fancy Magazine, but I did happen to find myself thumbing through one today where I came across an add featuring a Savannah Cat.




I'm inherently a cat person, although I love the companionship, loyalty, and ability to travel that dogs offer. I'm not one to have a dog just to have a dog. I prefer having a dog as a sidekick that can adventure with me. Molly fits that bill perfectly and although the rest of the pack may have less experience they have all done well on various adventures and are awesome dogs that I have grown to love. Cats, on the other hand, I dig just to have around. They are independent yet affectionate and relatively low maintenance. A Savannah Cat sounds like the perfect cross between these two extremes.


Savannah Cats are a crossbreed between a domestic cat and the wild African Serval Cat. They are huge, standing up to 20" tall, 30" long and can weigh up to 30 pounds! Their temperament has been described more like that of dogs than cats, most notably due to their extreme loyalty to their owners. Their wild influence makes them incredibly athletic compared to a domestic house cat. They have been known to jump over 8 feet from a standstill. They are also incredibly smart. Owners have to "cat-proof" their cabinets and outside doors because the cats have been known to figure out how to open both. Odder still are Savannah Cat's love water, they swim, jump in the shower, and have been known to play in their water bowl. Savannah Cats are also easily leash trained and due to their high athletic level usually enjoy going on walks. The pictures I saw in the magazine today are Here, where you can really see how big they are in comparison to a normal Cat. You can also learn more about Savannah cats Here.










Right about now your thinking "As if he doesn't have enough animals, now Alex is going to run out and get a Savannah Cat!" Well as amazed as I am by them, I'm not going to do that. Even if I could afford or would ever spend $7000 to $12000 (you read that right!) on a pet. And even if I could some how selfishly allow myself to get another animal at the expense of our existing ones, I still wouldn't do it. Thanks to Jo's influence, I just don't believe in anything other than adopting a dog or cat. There are just too many out there in need of a good home to morally allow myself to ever consider any other option. That said, if in the far distant future Jo and I find ourselves with fewer dogs and cats and happen to come across a Savannah Cat at the local feline rescue I'll be all over it!

1 comment:

Matt S. said...

Wow! Now THOSE are some mighty fine lookin' felines! I know one of those would not fit into our family budget now, but who knows - maybe someday!