Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Keeping Busy on the Lee-Side

It's winter on the Lee-Side and I've been fighting a horrible sinus infection for the past month. I'm sad to report that I haven't been jumping off any cliffs or surviving 100 mile mountain bike rides in the desert. My sinus infection is so bad I even missed a trip to Utah that would have included some winter Hang Gliding at the Point and a couple epic powder days. Argh! I haven't even been able to work - I never thought I'd complain about that! It's been hard to keep busy. One thing that's kept me sane from the hours on the couch and the giant piles of tissues has been Problem A, aka the stolen, but recovered Honda Civic I just bought. Here's what I've done so far:

I managed to get the driver's side power window and door lock to work. The window was off the tracks because the front track was horrible bent. The lock mechanism was just broken off its mounts.




I've completely replaced the entire steering column. To do this I had to remove the airbag without triggering it to go off in my face which was way more involved than you would think, then remove the steering wheel.



Remove the wire reel and what was left of the headlight and wiper switches.


Unbolt and remove the universal joints in the steering shaft.



Remove the what was left of the old steering column without another trip to the emergency room!



Done.


The replacement column went in pretty easy. I had to cannibalize the old steering wheel, airbag assembly, and some wiring, but I managed to get it all together without the airbag going off.




The car is completely drive able and secure right now. All that's left to do is replace the heater / AC console and some extensive body work. I managed to get the mangled rear bumper close to it's original shape with a drill, pri-bar, and a metal screw! You can barely tell right!



Oh, I almost forgot about the Problem B I mentioned in my Solution B post, Problem B:



A nail in the worst possible place, the sidewall-tread junction. Not having the funds for $400 worth of tires, I found Solution B on Craigslist for $60 bucks. I will say you get what you pay for, the first run out in the M Coupe with those tires was downright scary!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you might have finished the honda quicker, if you do the work and refrain from all the pictures!!!