Saturday, January 19, 2008

Bald Eagle - No Zoom Lens

I spotted this Bald Eagle when I was out taking pics of the M Coupe the other day. I immediately braked hard, pulled over and tried to get as close as possible on foot. As usual I was hurting for a zoom lens (I don't own one) and set up my tripod to get crisp shots so I could crop the hell out of them later. Before I got the camera mounted another car stopped. The guy saw me with the tripod and then saw the eagle. He got out his Cannon camera with a zoom lens and I saw an opportunity. He didn't have a tripod and I didn't have a zoom lens. See where this is going?

My lens had better quality glass, but only went to 85mm. His lens was a 200mm, but with poorer glass. I'll let you compare the results.
200MM Lens Cropped





85mm Lens Cropped Significantly



I'm not sure which one is better. They all are poor quality due to the extreme cropping I needed to get in tight on the Eagle. The solution is to stop obsessing on the M Coupe and allocate some resources to a professional zoom lens.

Later I drove by and the eagle was still there. I got out again (camera in hand) and got some shots of him hunting a grouse. I'm going to make a layered image of those shots. Stay tuned...

1 comment:

rustafarian said...

nice shots man. i love the eagle stalking story... good luck with finding a new lens.

i think the 200 mm wins, shearly because of the zoom and the lack of close-up detail to be improved by better glass.

oh, i took some photos at the xavier rudd show... check out 1 of them on my blog. peace!