Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Unhealthy Obsession

I've been guilty of an unhealthy obsession lately.
Twenty eight miles from my house is this:


"This" is a 2002 Dinan SC2 BMW M Coupe, with only 26,ooo miles. Only 690 BMW M Coupes with the racing bred S54 engine were produced. They were made only in 2001 and 2002 and most were in the former. There are is only 1 other S54 powered M Coupe I know of in the whole sate of Colorado. I thought my stock S54 M Coupe was rare until I saw this and then, even worse, found out it was for sale. Ignorance is bliss. Before I go any further, let me just say that there is no way I can morally allow myself to buy (as if I could afford it anyway - laugh) another M Coupe. I couldn't help but go look at it. "I'll just check it out", I told myself. What makes it so great (the pictures don't do it justice)? I won't go into M Coupe jargon, but here's just a few things. The color, steel gray metallic, is not my first choice, but in my top three.


The car is a custom built performance machine with the complete Dinan SC2 performance package matching serial number. It features upgraded engine, intake, brakes, suspension, and exhaust. Sitting on top of that Dinan upgraded 377 horse power engine is one of only 25 ever produced S54 racing carbon fiber valve covers and scattered throughout car are many other carbon fiber bits to match. The engine was much dirtier than I would ever let mine get, but it would clean up nice.



To keep all that power on the ground it has installed (also no longer in production) paint matched AC Schnitzer front air dam splitters and rear wing. These give the car a subtly aggressive look and improved high speed aerodynamics.



Sport mode is enabled (a mod in my near future) and to combat Colorado's horrible roads it has 3M clear bra covering every forward facing area (another costly mod in my future). The car has everything I would ever want to do mine plus more and after talking to the seller for over 3 hours collectively, he offered me a ridiculous deal.

Hmmm...

Can you see the wheels spinning, "If I could just sell mine, then come up with the difference..." After a few hours of mental anguish I stopped the madness. This isn't about M Coupes, it's about my character defects. M Coupes may go very fast and be simultaneously exhilarating and terrifying, but in the end it is nothing but a financially irresponsible material possession. Where I see pompous German styling most people see an ugly car shaped like a clown shoe.

Happiness = being content.
If my problems this week are not obsessing on another M Coupe - Life is good!

Besides, after 18 months searching to find it how could I dare think about selling my red cloud shoe.

.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Red cars have been known to get jealous, remember Christine.