Monday, December 17, 2007

Marshal Pack Coyotes

Since moving in with Jo, I spend a lot of time in the Marshal Mesa and Eldorado Springs areas of Boulder County because they are close to my house. This fall I didn't work much and got on a super late sleep schedule, usually to staying up to 3am. In the wee hours of the morning I started hearing lots of "Yips and Yelps" coming from outside our open windows. Eventually I discovered the noise was coming from what I call the Marshal Pack Coyotes. They come into the neighborhood and raise hell when everyone is asleep. I had always seen a few random coyotes out on Marshal Mesa, but after hearing them every night I started to recognizing the regulars. In subsequent dog walks on the ditch trail I had two very close encounters with one of the smaller ones and he has always protested me with lots of yipping and carrying on. I try to give them space and not be intrusive when we cross paths.

The other day I was driving down 128 (which cuts across Marshal Mesa) when I saw the whole pack about 25 yards south of the road. Three were hunting in the prairie grass while the rest watched from about 40 yards away. I pulled off into the snow covered grass at about 50mph. I used one hand to keep the truck in control (it was an awesome 4 wheel drift) and the other to get out my camera, remove the lens cover, and turn it on. Perfect multitasking! I skidded to a stop about 80 yards from the pack, camera on and ready. They we aware of me, but not bothered. There wasn't any good cover, so stalked them from a ditch line paralleling the road. Their hunt was taking them in the opposite direction from me over a hill and soon out of sight. Time was a perishable commodity, so needed to move fast to get a good shot. Time ran out so I dropped to one knee and steadied my camera for a crop able shot (I don't have a good zoom lens). The alpha male turned and faced me while the pack followed the hunters down the hill. I held my ground and got a couple shots as we stood off. Once the pack was safely out of my sight he turned and disappeared over the hill. This is what I got, cropped at half the original image size (the best way to view these is to click on the image and view the enlarged size).






I need a zoom lens!

No comments: