Wednesday, December 26, 2007

10000 Picture (Every picture has a story)

When I converted to Digital Photography in early 2004, I set up my upload program to name images with numerical file names. My first digital camera was a Nikon Cool Pix 5400. My first picture taken with that camera was named DSCN_001 and each subsequent image had an ascending numerical file name. Incidentally, I ended up selling that camera to a guy in a truck stop parking lot for a thick wad of $20 bills in the Spring of 2005. We got the attention of quite a few onlookers as we did the deal. The last picture I took with that camera was DSCN_3843 on March 6, 2005.

DSCN_3843


Every picture has a story. When I took DSCN_3483, Molly and I were driving my old 1987 BMW South Westbound on I-76 in Eastern Colorado. It was my first day active after being down for 3 weeks from a nearly fatal staph infection. It was quite an ordeal that involved surgery, 5 days in the hospital on intravenous antibiotics, and weeks recovering in bed at home. Prior to taking this picture Molly and I had spend the day watching hang gliders scooter-tow in the flat fields of Eastern Colorado. I was still very weak, but was itching to get out of the house.

When I got my current camera, a Cannon 20D digital SLR, I started my numerical naming system over with IMG_001. Cannon files use the prefix IMG instead of DSCN. On December 10, 2007, I took picture number 10000 with the Cannon 20D. That night when I was looking at my freshly uploaded pictures I was confused why there was an IMG_001 until I realized the upload software I use won't count above IMG_9999. IMG_001 = IMG_10000 or picture number 10000.

IMG_001(10000)


This was taken on our trip to Maryland as Jo was crossing Light Street in the inner harbor of downtown Baltimore. She was laughing because I was heckling and trying to embarrass her from the sidewalk. We had spent the day at the National Aquarium with my Mom dodging groups of field trips and trying to spot every animal in the exhibits. They both are terrified of snakes so I made sure to make them stop at every snake exhibit. At the gift shop I bought a fake can of salt water taffy with a snake that jumped out when you opened the lid, but they were on to my shenanigans and didn't fall for it. In fact nobody has, what a waste of $6.99!

No comments: