Monday, July 07, 2008

Training Update 7-07-08, Triple Bypass

Last week I had a solid training block consisting of 6 rides covering 250 miles in just under 16 hours, 4 road and 2 mountain. The road rides were commutes to work which I'll expand upon in another post soon. The mountain rides were the Laramie Enduro Recon Mission 1 posted below and an expansion of Super Walker from my house. I named it Uber Walker in my training log. It was a brutal 46 mile ride, taking Marshall road to Flagstaff and then Super Walker. Next week I'm going to extend it a little by adding some of the Marshall Mesa trails on the front and back.

Tomorrow and possibly Wednesday will be rest days tapering ahead of The Triple Bypass ride on Saturday. Doug gave Jo and I Triple Bypass entries for our birthdays. The Triple Bypass is a road cycling tour covering 120 miles and climbing 10000 feet over Juniper Pass (11,140 feet elevation), Loveland Pass (11,900'), and Vail Pass (10,560'), He's also going to lend me some slick tires so I can ride it on the Superfly. I'll probably be one of only a few doing the ride on a mountain bike, but it will be perfect conditioning for the Laramie Enduro. There is a school of thought that recommends always training on the bike you plan on racing on. In my experience this becomes more important with endurance events. It allows conditioning of saddle pressure points and the secondary muscles that vary with the subtle geometries between different bikes. Plus, the lower gearing will allow me to spare my knee.

Triple Bypass Route and Elevation

No comments: