Friday, July 25, 2008

T Minus 31 Hours...

It's 31 hours, actually 30:56 until the start of the Laramie Enduro. I'm sure everyone is getting a little sick of me talking about it, as it's been an obsession for me. I've been itching to avenge my DNF at the Durango 100 in 2005. Sure I'd did a couple 24 Hour Solo races after that, but those are different. My goal was to make the Durango 100 my peak race this year, but they cancelled it which is what lead me to the Laramie Enduro. Other than feeling a little tired from poor sleep last night I feel prepared. My goal is obviously to win my class, but I'd be happy with a top five finish.

I'm going to make a last minute gamble and break a sacred rule of racing - Don't make any changes on or right before race day. After riding the Triple Bypass on the Superfly I realized that the Brontrager Race X Lite saddle that came on it may not be the best for marathon type events. After hustling quite a bit I found a saddle that is. The Fizik Gobi. I even managed to get a limited edition one in white. I test rode it on a short ride today and it was noticeably different. The Race X Lite is narrower and harder. The Gobi is designed for longer rides. It has a flex wing system that absorbs shock on the edges and a softer pad on the center. It also is slightly longer and wider. I noticed this the most. My muscles and ass are conditioned for the Race X Lite so riding a 70 mile race after only 2 rides (including tomorrow) on a new saddle is a bit of a gamble. After riding today I'm going to leave it on and take the risk. I just hope I don't regret it...

Brontrager Race X Lite



Fizik Gobi

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

In researching the LE, I stumbled onto your blog. Fun read. Good luck on the ride!