Friday, July 18, 2008

Rusty the Hunter

Rusty and Jasper have learned to use the dog door (see Jasper of the Night) and have been spending the warm summer days basking in the yard. At least that's what I thought they were doing until a couple weeks ago. Jo's friend from New York was over she was giving her a tour of our house. I was working in the garage at the time. My work was disturbed when I heard two high pitch screams followed by thunderous footsteps rushing down the stairs. When they got to my office Rusty had a surprise for them. Laying on the carpet was a huge dead field mouse. At first Jo thought it was fake until she looked up close. Sure enough Rusty had killed the beast and brought it upstairs into my office. He sat above it with an expression of pride and concern that I might take it from him. After distracting him with some catnip, I removed the mouse by its tail. I tossing it to the open space across the road behind our fence where a local predator would surely capitalize on Rusty's skilled hunting. That is, unless it didn't make it across the road and landed in a passing car's open window!

Rusty Hunting




Last week, I was working in my office and it happened again. I had just bought a new external drive and was backing up my data when Rusty tried to ease by my feet under the bed. I knew by his body language that he had something to hide and sure enough there was another mouse in his mouth. Only this time it was alive! I had to act quick. With one hand I immobilized Rusty, who was reluctant to let go of the mouse, and used the other hand to grab the nearest make shift cage I could find. It was the plastic box my external drive came in. Holding Rusty with my feet I extracted the mouse by its tail with one hand while opening Rusty's jaw with the other. I deposited the mouse into the plastic while keeping Rusty at bay. I let out a sigh relief and looked for a stapler to close the plastic. But, before I could get done sighing the situation erupted again. Molly saw the mouse in the clear plastic container and charged into the room. I used every available appendage to block her, keep Rusty clear and hold the plastic shut at the same time so the mouse couldn't get out. With order restored I poked some air holes and secured the mouse in his safe haven.

The Mouse Secure





Mmmmm




The mouse was huge, he was definitely a field mouse and not an indoor rodent. He was also justifiably upset, but didn't look injured. Rusty had been so surgical in his capture that his skin didn't appear to be broken. The mouse and I hoped in the truck and drove about 5 miles down the road to an open field. I opened the plastic and he jumped 4 feet into the air on his way out. It was impressive. After returning home Rusty had a look of pride on his face as he laid high in his cat stand. I couldn't help but feel proud too, although, I would prefer he kept his hunting outside.


A Second Chance on Life
(or should I say "Get me the F&@# out of here!")


1 comment:

rustafarian said...

hey buddy, looks like you've been super busy biking this summer! when are you going to get one of those half-african cats that has a 20 foot vertical?