Monday, June 02, 2008

Training Update 6-2-08 - SUPERWALKER

I increased my intensity and distance this week. I'll save a long winded paragraph, it went like this:



I've already blogged about THE BURN. In the last Training Update I mentioned my next major race, The Laramie Enduro. It takes place on July 26th, a mere 55 days from now. It's a 72 mile course with a moderate level of climbing. If I'm going to be competitive I'm going to have to seriously increase my distance and climbing. The distance will come in the form of long road rides and mountain rides once or twice a week depending on my work schedule. The climbing will come from riding SUPER WALKER once a week.

If your not from Boulder, your probably wondering what the hell SUPER WALKER is. It's a local training ride from downtown Boulder up Flagstaff road to Walker Ranch and back. Walker Ranch consists of an semi-technical 8 mile loop with 2 long descents and climbs. There is also a short hike-a-bike section. It finishes with a climb up the back side of Flagstaff road and a fun twisty road descent down the front. From the base of the climb it is 23.6 miles with 4500 feet of climbing. Here are Doug's stats from Wednesday's Ride. We finished in 2:22, but it was more like 2:30 because I stopped a couple times to stretch.








Judging from the local mountain bike forums, our time was slightly above average. Considering that every single person who touches a bike in Boulder is at least above average that doesn't mean much. Ramine and Brian both broke the sub-2hour mark and will surely widdle that time down as the summer progresses. I'm going to follow Ramine's advice and ride it once a week to improve my climbing. In a month to 6 weeks I try a race effort and see how short I can get it.

I took some video today, but it is choppy and poor. I'll post a video log of the ride soon.

No comments: