Sunday, June 15, 2008

Jo Races Winter Park Hill Climb

The Winter Park Mountain Bike Race Series kicked off Saturday with the Hill Climb race. The Hill Climb is a 5.3 mile racing, climbing 2,062 feet from an elevation of 9,080 to 11,142 feet. Jo rode her Spot Single speed to a second place finish!

I had to work an overnight shift on Friday night and planned on meeting Jo in Winter Park on Saturday morning. I would be too tired to race, but it would fun to support Jo, James who was racing expert, and Ramine who was doing his first race as a pro. I drove the M Coupe to work Friday so I could make good time to Winter Park in the morning. Driving up Berthed Pass on the way to Winter Park was one of the best drives I've done in the car, it was almost more fun than biking - almost!

Jo's single speed class started with the Pro and Expert women. I got there in time to see her off the start. Jo swapped her air suspension fork out for a rigid carbon fiber fork and on the first descent had a bit of a crash breaking her sunglasses. I just happened to have picked up a warrentied pair the night before and gave them to her. After that I pedaled hard up the start hill to get in a good photo position about a half mile up the course. As the pack came by, Jo was in the leading the single speeders and not far behind the first couple pro women. I continued to the top of the mountain and did my best to stay out of the way of all the following racers on their way up. I cheered everyone that went by, but wearing my kit most people thought I was racing and snickered at me!

Jo at the Start



Pro, Expert, and Single Speed Women


Jo in the Pack





My teamate Molly leading Expert Women


6 Feet of Snow Borders the Race Course


HDR View from Halfway Up
(Note the Pine Beetle Damage)



Jo missed first place by less than a minute and putting almost 4 minutes on the girl behind her. My teamate Molly won the Expert Women class. James finished a strong second, 11 seconds behind the leader in Men's expert. Although he didn't finish as well as he would have liked, Ramine held his own in Pro easily hanging with some of the best riders in the area.

Jo Wearing her Medal


Ramine on the Way Down


James on the Podium



No comments: