Monday, April 07, 2008

Training Update 4-7-08

Last week was the same story as the week before. I only had two days off to ride and it snowed both of those days, yet every day I worked the temps were in the 60's. My frustration level was only heightened by the looming race I have on the 27th, a mere 20 days away.


Including today, I managed 2 rides totalling about 60 miles. I woke up to snow and wet cold air today, but got my bike ready in hopes of a break in the weather. Around 1pm the snow stopped, but the break in the clouds appeared to be a sucker hole. I didn't take the bait and choose to run errands instead. The snow started again within an hour, followed by several hours of intermittent showers. At 6pm a check of the radar revealed most of the moisture had moved off to the East. I suited up in my warmest clothes and headed out. At first it wasn't bad, but the as the sun drifted behind the clouds lingering over the Flatirons it got cold quick.

I tried to stay positive as the numbness advanced up my extremities and day light retreated to the West. I decided my frustration over the past week was unfounded. I really hurt my knee doing long rides and steep climbing on the few days I rode the week before. My long work week was nothing but an opportunity for my knee to heal a little and it was time to refocus on my plan of incremental increases in distance, intensity and climbing. The race on the 27th will be nothing but a training event for me. I'm not going to focus on results, just having fun and sticking to my training plan.

No comments: