Thursday, April 24, 2008

Bike Packing

I'm leaving Saturday for the Greenbrier Race on Sunday, but my bike has to leave by 10am tomorrow if it's going to get there in time. It's almost 1am and I'm beat. I've spend the past couple hours trying to fit this:




into this:





My narrow road bike fits in this box no problem, but the mountain bike is a different story. After test fitting many times to find the most space-saving position I took a note from Jeff's hang glider short packing posts and cut up an old foam bed roll for extra padding. With the wheels nestled just right in the frame nooks I still had to use significant force to get the lid shut. Being paranoid about bending my brake rotors I took them off. That 1/8" of room made everything fit snug, but not too tight. Okay it really made no difference, but at least my rotors won't be bent.








Done. Off to bed...



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Alex,

I read your blog almost daily and though I am a hang glider pilot, your posts about cycling are very interesting. Please keep writing despite not a lot of us leave messages. Anyway, I found this article in the NYT in case you have not seen it and I thought of your recent experience packing your baby. Here is the article: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/12/fashion/12physical.html?_r=1&ref=health&oref=slogin

Cheers from Canada

Carlos Rizo