Saturday, October 21, 2006

Choppin' em Down

Molly Dog has been on holiday in Nederland all week. My cousin Ashley and her boyfriend, Shawn, help me out by watching her while I'm on the road. They heat their house with a wood burning stove and had a ton of firewood that needed splitting. It just so happens that splitting firewood is one of my favorite activities. My back was still a little sore from the Moab race, but I couldn't pass on the opportunity to split some wood. With 4 inches of fresh snow on the ground and a crisp breeze blowing down from the peaks above Nederland it was perfect weather to get my chop on. The logs were wet and stubborn, but Shawn and I split about a 1/4 Cord in an hour. I like to build power in my Chi and then at the right time unleash in an explosive swing through the log. You have to mentally think through the log in order to split it on the first swing. "Alex is crazy" you may be thinking, but it's all about technique. It felt good to sweat a little doing something other than cycling.

Shawn and Ashley on the way back from Moab



Shawn Getting his Chop on



Molly Dog Supervising



Shawn Chop Sequence



Molly Dog Stealing Wood

2 comments:

rustafarian said...

dude, i like shawn's monstrous chopping pose. that's full extension... good form!

OB said...

I want to see a bigger photo of the moment of impact on the log. Nice photos man.