Monday, May 09, 2011

Flytec Race and Rally 2011 - Day 2

Today a 114km task was called from Live Oak, FL to Moultrie, GA. I was determined not to repeat yesterdays mistakes so I triple checked my tracklog and borrowed Mariah's GPS as a back up. The one thing I didn't check was the batteries, which died about halfway through my flight. Argh! The day was looking a lot better with plenty of clouds and stronger climbs. I was in the first half of pilots towed up and climbed in a massive gaggle to the edge of a the start circle. I'm getting more comfortable flying in massive gaggles, but it's far from routine. I took the first clock and went on course with a bunch of people. Nick, my roommate was off my wing for a while. The group thinned after a few climbs and after getting uncomfortably low at one point I dropped back. I decided to stay high and fly the cloud streets. I'm not sure if this was the right decision, as I lost the group I was in. I seemed to cross paths with random pilots for the next few hours, so I was never entirely alone either.

Staging Cue


Climbing Over Moultrie Airport


Everyone Getting Ready for the Start


On Glide with Nick


It was slow going working my way north. I would estimate the headwind was at least 10mph and every bit of progress was half undone by drifting backwards while climbing. Florida swamps gave way to Georgia forests and one forest seemed to take forever to cross. I seemed to have a little more trouble today tracking thermal core too. The cloud streets were great though and I managed a few stretches of straight line flying with minimal altitude loss. Patrick Cruise and I broke off from a small gaggle at one point and crossed to the next cloud street. He left on glide before me and flew straight to the ground. I was high enough to catch the ladder and ride the street to it's end, but the sight was disconcerting. Sure enough at the end of the street I found myself scratching over the town of Quitman, GA. I groveled a little in light lift, but couldn't put anything together. I ended up landing at the local airport.

At Cloudbase


Crossing the Suwannee River Towards Georgia


Avoiding the Blue Sky


Landed at Quitman-Brooks County Airport


Cool Radial Twin Where I Broke Down


Airtime 4:28, Distance 77km.

1 comment:

Lee said...

JEALOUS!!!!