Sunday, May 08, 2011

Flytec Race and Rally 2011 - Day 1

A 148km task from Quest to Keystone Airport was called. The launch cue formed quick and I wasn't terribly motivated to hook in and roast in my glider. As such I launched late, but pinned off into a great thermal. I joined a gaggle at the end of the start circle and took the last start clock. I had teamed up with John Simon and Sonny for retrieve and linked up with John at the start. We climbed a few thermals together and one glide he got flushed. I picked a line a little to west and was able to stretch my glide a little more. We were only one thermal away from the main gaggle, but it was one thermal too far. Our gaggle splintered. I pressed ahead while John clawed his way up from the deck. It was good work on his part.

My Glider Not in the Launch Line


Looking Up at the Start Circle


I clawed to the north, working hard against the headwind for every foot of progress. After a few thermals more thermals I was Greg and Mitch. We worked broken lift on the east side of a huge subdivision for a while. I decided it wasn't going to get any better and pressed out on my own. It was a day when you needed friends to stay up. I was only one mistake away from being on the deck and leaving them was it. I glided about 10km and decked in the middle of the subdivision. It was the only open field and turned out to be a turtle refuge. Scratching low over the houses caused a few people to get concerned and the cops and ambulances were there within minutes. They just wanted to check that I was alright, there was no drama about landing in the turtle refuge. I had to laugh when I thought about what would happen if I did that in Boulder!

On Course


The Fenced in Turtle Refuge


And It's Residents


My Reception



It was a hard day, my flying was good, but my decision making was poor. To rub salt in the wound I forgot to make sure my track log was on (which it wasn't) and didn't get scored! Airtime 3:28, Distance 48KM.

No comments: