Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Flytec Race and Rally 2011 - Day 3

We continued north today with a 119km task from Moultrie to Americus, GA. The goal was Jimmy Carter Regional Airport, which was also home base to Charles Lindbergh briefly. The heat was oppressive today with a high in the mid-nineties, but the gnat's were worse. If I had a choice between the two, I'd take the heat. I rigged and got the fuck off the ground as soon as possible. The world at 2500' was a way more comfortable.

This Picture Belies the Oppressive Heat and Gnats


I had an hour until the first start clock so I explored the start circle while gradually working my way to the north corner. Everyone else was doing the same to stage for the start. We all reached cloud base several times and had to dive out to avoid getting sucked in. I ended up in perfect position to take the 2:00pm start and went with the first group. The rush of stuffing the bar and racing out of the start circle with another 20 gliders will never get old. It's so much better than mountain bike racing. Flying with the best comp pilots is invaluable experience too. I try to be sponge and soak up everything I can.

Looking Down at the Start - Moultrie Airport


Jon Simon's Gargoyle Glider


Looking Out at the Course Line to the North


I hung with the lead group for a few thermals, but after about 25km I fell of the back. The day was good with 300-800fpm lift and cloud bases over 6000'. Once I was alone I decided to stay high and focus on just making goal. I worked between 4000-6500' for the next 30km or so and rewarded myself with an apple at the halfway mark. At about 45km from goal I found myself low under blue sky. I was down to about 2500' groveling in 100fpm feeling alone in the world. After an eternity it finally organized into a consistent 300fpm and Rich in his bright green glider showed up. I was ecstatic to have a friend climb with me out of the pit of despair. The lift turned on as he arrived and we climbed to cloud base together. We fanned out on different lines and I was able to stay higher at first under a nice street to the west. About 10km later he stopped and since I was ahead I pressed on for a promising cloud. I should have turned back to climb with him, but my cloud was all show. I guess you could say it was "all face and no trousers!" That put Rich one climb ahead of me and we stayed that way to goal.

Token Stig Helmet Shot


The closer to goal I got the more paranoid grew. This is my third real comp and I've never made goal. I've fallen short by less than 2km a few times, but never tasted the finish. Rather than race the other stragglers I played it safe stopping to climb a few times. I didn't leave on final glide until I had a 5 to 1 glide ratio! That put me over goal at over 2000', which just gave me more time to enjoy it!

Beautiful Goal - Jimmy Carter Regional Airport


Stoked to Have Made It!


Looking Down at the Rest of the Rally
(who were already there!)


It seems like things are starting to coming together for me, hopefully my slow learning curve will continue tomorrow! Airtime 5:00, Distance 119km.

1 comment:

Lee said...

5 Hours!!!! Dude you better be careful or you might bust 30 in 7