Sunday, May 15, 2011

Flytec Race and Rally 2011 - Final

We all met up in Aiken, SC after yesterday's task. The cold front we had be outrunning finally caught us and the task was cancelled. We knew the day would probably be cancelled so everyone met up downtown and celebrated the comp. It was Friday night and Aiken's quaint downtown was alive. The crew I was with didn't leave until after the bluegrass band stopped playing at 2:00am.

In the morning the task was cancelled after which commotion ensued as everyone made plans for their departure. The destinations were diverse; Australia, Brazil, Europe, and all over the US. A big contingent was heading north to the Mid West Comp. I was heading back to Colorado with Jeff, but we had a problem. His truck was making ominous sounds from the rear end. I was hoping it was something simple like a snapped retaining spring in the drum brake assembly. A trip to the dealer revealed it was a wheel bearing that failed catastrophically, even worse the parts wouldn't be in until Monday. That put us two days behind on our 26 hour drive to Colorado. Jeff has another 12 hours after that.

Broke Down in Aiken, SC


We missed the awards ceremony, but were able to get a ride back to the Econolodge. Fortunately for us the tug pilots were also delayed on their trip home by the cold front. We all met up and had dinner downtown. The next day Jeff and I entertained ourselves by going on several vigorous walks. Finally on Monday afternoon after 48 painful hours the truck was ready. We wasted no time rallying straight back to CO. We made good time and breathed a deeper sigh of relief as we crossed each state line.

Hanging Out in Aiken





Teased by Beautiful Skies


Civil War Graves



Walking the Tracks



Finally the Part


Driving Non-Stop


Beautiful Colorado


This comp was more transformational than past ones for me. My flying improved some, but my mental state of mind changed significantly. The lessons were mostly mental and decision making, not mechanical flying. In the last few comps I was just trying to survive. This time I was actually able to race at times. Each mistake I make is an opportunity to improve and limit my repetition. Racing hang gliders is far from easy, especially with the caliber of pilots who compete. I judge my success right now by how much I can learn from each of my failures.

Keel Mount from Day 6
(a climb to cloud base with Eric Donaldson)


Totals: I flew 7 days in a row, totaling 25 hours and 43 minutes covering 340 miles. My longest flight was 5:14. I made goal for the first time and flew a new PR distance of 120 miles. I finished 41 out of 55 pilots without being scored for the first day (I'd be in the high 30's if I was scored).

The Course Line of this Year's Rally

No comments: