Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Santa Cruz Flats - Day 6

Day 6 would be my last day at Santa Cruz Flats. I had to miss the final day to meet up with a Phoenix Multisport trip in Moab. I spent most of the morning replacing my VG line and the right outboard sprog zipper. Mark just happened to have a spectra VG line that was pretty easy to replace. I bummed a pair of needle nose pliers from Russell and carefully worked the zipper slider back into shape. I got it better, but it still won't close all the way. By the time I was done the only gliders still at the hotel were Trevor's and mine.

Broken VG Line



The task was a 97km triangle to Estrella Airport then Interstate 8 and back. I got in the launch line behind Dave Gibson. It was a 105 degrees on the ground and the winds were getting more cross as the afternoon progressed. After a few weak link breaks David offered the other runway to those who wanted to move. I was happy to as the winds were less cross. Russell waived me off in a good thermal after an uneventful tow. A huge gaggle had formed slightly north of where I pinned off, but soon there were gliders everywhere. It was super cool flying in such a big gaggle. I couldn't get to the top, but was able to comfortably hang out in the middle.

105 Degrees in the Launch Que



Almost everyone was gone by the last start, but Cambell, Scott, Dan, and I hung out. I felt like I was too low to go on glide, but in hindsight I should have. I could see a monster gaggle about 10km to the north, but couldn't make it on one glide. I was maintaining between 4500 and 5000, but was drifting away from the course line and not really climbing. I could see Cambell and Dan on glide, but they weren't finding anything. Eventually I headed out on course, but didn't make it to far before I was low and scratching. Cambell and a rigid wing were low to my west and not climbing. I had enough altitude to make it back to the start so I blazed downwind hoping to find better lift or land get a relight.

Just north of the start circle I hit 250fpm and was able to climb about 1500 feet before loosing the core. It was super late, I was alone, and my back was killing me. I pondered how to spend my last day at the comp. I was going to loose a bunch of points missing the final day which would push me close to last position. I could blaze out of course, but between my back and being alone I didn't think I'd make it far. The other option would be to hang out near the hotel, free fly, then land and jump in the pool. I decided to relax and do the latter.

The Fransisco Grande Resort
(the runways are on the right)



I worked on getting low, getting back up and exploring the edges of lift as thermals rolled through. I had a blast chasing an American Kestrel that stumbled into my thermal. I would turn behind him, get close then try to follow as he dove away. Later I looked down to see a perfect V formation of geese crossing below me. I pulled on full VG and followed them to the west. As I got closer they sped up. I pulled out the Olympus and tried to film them. It was super hard to fly at speed with one hand through bumpy air and film with the other. I got closer and closer, then they did something amazing. When they decided I was too close they simultaneously broke formation with each goose diving in a different direction. It puzzled me for a second and in that moment they rejoined formation to the west out of reach. I wondered if it confused predators as easily as it confused me.

Geese Breaking Formation




I was down to 1500 AGL and turned back to make the runways west of the hotel. Focused on landing I tucked my camera into its pocket on my harness. I missed the opening and the camera fell out of my hand. It was tied to a 4 foot safety lanyard so I wasn't too concerned. As I looked down I saw it falling. The safety line had broke! The ground was flat and clear of obstacles below me so I committed to following the camera down. The VG was still on full so I pulled in the bar and dove with the camera. "Keep your eyes on it" I said as I dove 360's around it. "It'll hit soon" I thought, but it didn't. More seconds passed and it didn't. Finally it hit the dirt and "poof" of dust formed a ring around the impact crater. I was at about 400 feet in a steep spiral dive with tons of speed. I pushed out and bled off my speed while easing the VG off. I didn't want to glide too far away and loose the impact site. When my speed was gone I rolled wings level and landed about 100 yards away.

On the Ground
(photos by Edward)





A local named Edward and his son had seen me diving out of the sky and stopped to see if I was okay. He gave me an frozen water bottle and offered to help me look for the camera. It took about 30 minutes, but I found it next to a slight ridge in the dirt. It had bounced about 5 feet from the point of impact. I took a picture of the impact with my iPhone then turned it on and it worked! Kudos to Olympus for making a camera that could survive a 1500 foot fall! It takes crappy pictures, but it's bomb proof - literally! Edward helped me break down and gave me a ride back to the hotel.

The Impact Point



Edward and His Son



Just as I was drying off from the pool the leaders were gliding into goal. I missed the first group, but was able to get to the roof of the tower to photograph the second group. After everyone landed Jeff towed back up for a photo shoot and buzzed me and the others on the roof. Here are some (Cannon SLR) pics of the scene:

Jeff Dragging a Foot



First Group on the Ground



Dave Gibson Turning Base



Jim Yocum Cooling Off



Terry Reyonlds and the Moon



Eduardo Overhead



Greg Turing Base



Patrick and Derek Landing







Dustin in the Tug



Jeff Going Ballistic





As the sun set I jumped in the pool one last time and had dinner in the bar laughing up the day with everyone. I was stoked to fly with such a good group people throughout the week. Everyone from the pilots, organizers, tow pilots, drivers, volunteers, and task committees were super friendly and good company to share the week with. Jeff went all out to help me and answer my constant questions. Santa Cruz Flats was a perfect first comp to get my feet wet. Every day I got to know the glider better and dial my skills, by spring I'll have my equipment issues worked out and be better conditioned for longer flights.



Thanks to everyone for a great week!

1 comment:

Airstream Basecamp said...

Sounds like you had a great flying experience.

I used to fly gliders out of Estrella about once a year.

One of my more memorable flights included two F-15's ripping past at about eye level a few miles off as I thermalled.

I also remember crazy lift, crazy wind shear near the ground and dicey off field landing conditions.. Bring your 'A' game when flying in the desert.