Monday, September 21, 2009

Santa Cruz Flats - Day 2

The conditions today were similar to yesterday, sporadic lift under cloudless skies. The task was a 112km dog leg downwind to an RC field just outside of Tuscon's airspace. I'm amazed at the talent here, although there were a few re-lights, nobody seemed to have problems getting up. I launched late in the que, just behind Jack from Aspen. After I pinned off I couldn't find anything and soon I was back on the ground. So many of us were that another launch line had formed. The second tow put me in a good spot and I pinned off right as a gaggle was getting organized just SE of the field.

The Launch Que



Dave Gibson Climbing Up to Me



Looking Back at Launch and the Francisco Grande Hotel



I climbed near the top of the gaggle with Jack and Dave Gibson. It didn't take them long to sky out, but there were others below who I was able to stay above or with. I followed Dave and Jack on the first glide, but I was well below them. It's amazing how fast the higher performance gliders can pull away from me. I was able to work a few more thermals staying high to the first turn point. I never got much below 7000 the whole way working with a few other late starters along the way.

On Glide to the First Turn Point



Two Gliders Below



Crossing Interstate 10



I tagged the first turn point and went on a cross wind glide to the second turn point. Scott was ahead and above me, but heading off course to the south. I could either stay with him or glide alone to gliders in the distance below me. I chose the latter and hit the thermal about 1000 feet below them. It was disorganized and I couldn't find a core. I soon became impatient and pressed on alone towards the second turn point. This was a huge mistake and I knew it at the time, but I stubbornly plowed onward. Soon I was low and scratching, down to about 1500AGL. There was a glider on the ground directly below me, pecan tree groves to the SE, and a truck stop on Interstate 10 to the north.

Following Scott On Glide



The truck stop was calling my name, but I wasn't ready to throw in the towel yet. Up wind to the SW there was huge dust devil. I might be able to glide to it, but I would be fully committed. I pulled on full VG and headed back up wind. As I got lower the head wind increased and I was doubtful about making it at safe altitude. In hind sight I should have committed - you don't know unless you try. The truck stop was calling me. My back was hurting and a cold Gatorade would have hit the spot. Plus it was an easy retrieve and there was grassy patch to break down on. I turned around again. It seemed like every direction was into the wind. I glided as efficiently as I could and got there with enough altitude to make the grassy patch.

My Landing Spot...



...At the Truck Stop Oasis



I was happy with the first part of the day. I feel like I'm getting to know the Talon and thermaled way more efficiently in the light conditions today. I have the ability, I just need to keep my head in the game. I can suffer for hours and hours, even days on the mountain bike, but not on the glider. I get impatient too quickly. It's more meticulous. I will learn quickly, I have to...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

miss you ....

Anonymous said...

nice one dude. Sad not to be there...

AGW