Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Santa Cruz Flats - Day 4

The wind was blowing again this morning, even stronger than yesterday. The day was called in the pilot's meeting without much discussion.

Blown Out Palm Trees



Dustin gave me the beta on a good mountain bike ride up north. The National Trail is a super technical rocky single track that snakes its way along the northern ridge of South Mountain. It's very similar to the tech section at Hall Ranch, just 8 miles long. The rock texture and sand are so similar they could have been transplanted. It took me a while to find my groove, but I was able to ride all but the hardest sections of the climb. I don't have the top end to just blaze through using momentem right now so I had to ride it trials style to get over the hop ups and steps. There were some sections that I don't think I could ride with all the fitness in the world, but that's what makes it fun.

National Trail Single Track





Hop Up



A Mating Pair of Saguaro Cactus's



I Won't Say it...



Downtown Phoenix





After about 10 miles I dropped down the Telegraph Trail to the Desert Classic Trail. Telegraph was super steep, but it wasn't long. The Desert Classic was a treat. It was rolling tight single track that followed the base of the mountain back to the trail head. I didn't bring enough food and bonked at the base of Telegraph. That combined with the oppressive sun and heat made it a suffer fest back to the truck, but I refused to let up. 24 Hours of Moab is two weeks away and the suffering will do me good.

Petroglyphs





Arizona Sun



After I got back I had a dip in the pool and a "romantic" sunset with Jeff on top of the Fransisco Grande Tower. Jonny and Mark were just finishing and evening flight in the tugs and gave us a nice flyby. Then the Tennessee boys showed up with paper airplanes and had a contest on who's could soar the longest.

Sunset





Dragonfly Flyby


Off Into the Sunset



The Tennessee Boys



Paper Airplanes



If we can't fly tomorrow I'm envisioning something else flying off the tower...

No comments: