Friday, February 27, 2009

The Pink Panther in it's Glory Days

The Pink Panther is my old Wills Wing XC. I got the glider out of a back yard in Provo, UT. It was so beat up the owners words were "just take it". After smoothing out the packaging tape on the leading edge and a few thorough preflights I flew it for about a year before moving on to the beat up Fusion I fly now. I knew the Pink Panther started its life in Arizona, which is confirmed by the photo below. Adam was looking through some back issues of Hang Gliding Magazine and stumbled on this picture from the August 1997 issue.



It's caption is "Circling up over Echo Cliffs over the Navajo Reservation in Arizona. Photo by our August featured photographer Rick Fritz." Rick got a good bit of exposure in the Pink Panther, I've seen other images of his floating around, most notably a launch off of Mingus Mountain. Even to this day Pink Panther lives on in Hang Gliding & Paragliding Magazine as the small icon at the top of pages featuring hang gliding classifieds and up coming events. It's a picture Adam took of me on the South Side and is the same image as my avatar on this blog and other forums I frequent. Here's the original image.

No comments: