Monday, February 09, 2009

The Leadville 100 - Holding Out Hope

Today is February 9th, 2009, the day that determines by lottery who gets to compete in the Leadville Mountain Bike 100. Every year thousands of mountain bike racers enter for one of 1000 slots. Jo and I sent our entries in last month. When I ran outside this morning to check the mail I opened the mail box to find: a new Economist, a savers coupon packet, a letter for Jo's dad, and coupon for $20 off at Boulder Toyota. My head hung low on the long walk back up the steps to the front door, there was no confirmation postcard. I was certain that no news meant bad news, but as the day wore on optimism crept back into my heart. I don't have the coveted postcard, but I don't have a returned entry fee check either. Hmmm.

I've tentatively planned my 2009 season around peaking for the Leadville 100 (if I get in). All of my training and every race I do will lead up to the weekend of August 15th, the weekend of the Leadville. I'm not sure why I have so much invested in the Leadville, it's actually a pretty lame race. The course sucks, there is barely any singletrack, it's over priced, and the male race organizer I talked to on the phone was a dick! I've heard that the lady organizer is super nice, maybe I'll ask for her next time. Leadville's status as the country's premier 100 mile mountain bike race was only heightened last year when Lance Armstrong raced it and finished second to local superstar Dave Wein (here). Supposedly he's coming back this year, which will only stack the odds against a confirmation post card in the mail box tomorrow.

For now I'm going to be optimistic and say that no news is good news. My friend John who I met while racing The Laramie Enduro last year didn't get in, but Brandon, my old teammate did. If I get in I'll stick to the plan, if not I have a couple back races in mind. In the end, I'm just grateful to be able to race!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good luck with the lottery! I too am anxiously awaiting to hear whether I get in. First time for me, but I did volunteer for a few years for the Trail 100 when I was a ski patrolman. I've since learned that I probably should have indicated the goodness of my earlier acts to bolster my lottery success. Oh well. Rob