Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Birds and the Beach

After our bike ride (see previous post) Jo and I spent our second day in Florida at the beach with her parents, Pat and Alan. They live about 20 miles from the Florida's Gulf Coast. There was a lingering marine layer over the beach, but even with the overcast it was still about 70 degrees. I've always been a mountain man at heart, but the relaxing quiet and gentle onshore breeze of the beach was mesmerizing. Other than the turquoise colored surf lapping against the sand, the only sounds breaking the silence were the distant calls of sea gulls and the crumpling of sea shells under our feet.

Shells



We strolled the beach looking for collectable shells. I found a hole that looked like it could be a snake hole and cautiously started digging it out. Pat snuck up behind me and scared the hell out of me while I was digging. I was deserving of the scare even though it turned out to be just a fishing pole hole (say that fast 3 times). Jo and her parents relaxed in beach chairs while I wondered off to take pictures of passing sea birds. The first to fly by was a large Brown Pelican. I set up my camera to pan him when he suddenly broke left and dove into the water. I missed his impact, but got him as the fish he caught wiggled down his beak.

Brown Pelican



Breaking Left



Swallowing his Catch



The Brown Pelicans worked their way up and down the beach gliding in ground effect just inches above the water. I was envious of how elegant and efficient they flew. At times they would climb up to about 20 feet to hunt, then dive down to catch fish near the surface.

Fly By Sequence









In Ground Effect


Another expert fisherman was the Forster's Tern (in winter plumage). They winter near southern coastal areas like the Gulf Coast. They would fly the coast line an altitude approx. 15 feet scanning for food, then tuck their wings into a high speed dive when they spotted something.

Forster's Tern







Making a Catch



This post wouldn't be complete without mentioning a Sea Gull. A Laughing Gull sporting his winter plumage landed near me hoping for a hand out. I had nothing to offer other than taking his picture. He seemed to agree and posed for a portrait.

Laughing Gull





It would go against my life philosophy (the rules of Alex) to visit the beach without jumping in. Pat and Jo were luke warm (excuse the pun) to the idea, but after some convincing agreed to join me. I wouldn't describe the water as warm, but it wasn't cold either, at least by Colorado standards. I did let out an involuntary scream at first contact, but after about a few minutes it was fine. Floridians must have thin blood because we were the only ones in the water for as far as I could see. It must have an affect on motor their skills too, because Pat fell three times trying to extract herself from the 2 foot deep surf.

Jo, Pat, and Alan

No comments: