Wednesday, May 14, 2008

South Side

Utah Trip Continued... We woke up early on Sunday to fly the South Side of Point of the Mountain. Adam and I set up the Spectrum while Jeff set up his competition tuned Wills Wing Talon C2. When Jeff first told me over the phone of his custom gray and green stripped color scheme I was skeptical, but in person I was awestruck. The green lit up against the gray sail like a neon light. The clean, knife edged glider in Jeff's expert hands was a sight to behold against a back drop of clumsy lumbering paragliders. Adam and I were amazed at how much energy the glider retained and how well Jeff could fly it at it's limits. Jeff has a great blog post with awesome pics Here.

Jeff Practicing his Superhero Moves



A Paraglider Tormenting his Dog (I guess their good for something)


Jeff after he Buzzed Bill's Tandem


I flew a couple more times, but back pain eventually led me back to Earth. It was frustrating that it hurt to fly, but that was my own fault for not staying in flying shape over the winter. My personal frustrations crumbled under the joy of hanging out with good friends in the place I learned to hang glide.

After flying we stopped for another burrito and more Utah culture shock on the way to the airport. Adam impressed us with an science legend about how a helium balloon will behave in a moving vehicle. He claimed that it would lean in the direction of acceleration or turn instead of opposite it like every other object in the vehicle due to being lighter than air and being displaced by it. Jeff and I wouldn't take him for his word so we headed to the flower store for a helium balloon to test the theory on the way to the airport.

It worked, I'll let the pics finish the story.





No comments: